Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > bobbyc1's Profile > Albums > RALPHIE THE RACER LIGUORI

Picture 9 of 22 from Album RALPHIE THE RACER LIGUORI
Ralphie in 2003 the last year he raced, from 1949-2003 that's also scary.  He was the oldest driver to ever win a USAC feature at 66, I was fortunate to see that at the Speedrome back in Indianapolis,  Once Ralph got the lead his years of experience paid off, he made that track very narrow. A current midget hall of fame driver bout 35 years younger than Ralph, I won't mention the name ran into Ralph's car while it was parked with Ralph getting ready to take the mike.  Ralph got out of the car , i climbed the fence from the stands to the action and the crowd was yelling keep ur helmet on Ralphie.  My money would have been on Ralph, a Bronx boy n a WW11 vet, for sure the Greatest Generation of our time.  Ralph was also the N.Y. State 3 meter diving champ with dreams of going to the Olympics. When the call came he joined the Navy at 16 and lied bout his age. Ralph is the only racer to have won races over a 7 decade span, and at 90 he still owns two silver crown cars that his grandson Joe Liguori man handles them.  I traveled with Ralph all over the country for 2 summers in the late 50s, some  great stories bout the Championship Trail.  When I saw the Indianapolis Speedway it was awesome and got the chills.  When I got inside I said OMG, this is where Vuky died. Jimmy Bryan was a great guy that did some wild things. For kicks he would light a cherry bomb with his cigar and throw it in the back of a pickup when he passed one, but only when he felt like it, lol..  As great as some of these Legends were many of them were very humble but also crazy.  Ralph and Eddie Sachs were close and I can tell u from being around Eddie he was not humble, he carried the nickname the CLOWN PRINCE, lol but I loved him.
Ralphie in 2003 the last year he raced, from 1949-2003 that's also scary. He was the oldest driver to ever win a USAC feature at 66, I was fortunate to see that at the Speedrome back in Indianapolis, Once Ralph got the lead his years of experience paid off, he made that track very narrow. A current midget hall of fame driver bout 35 years younger than Ralph, I won't mention the name ran into Ralph's car while it was parked with Ralph getting ready to take the mike. Ralph got out of the car , i climbed the fence from the stands to the action and the crowd was yelling keep ur helmet on Ralphie. My money would have been on Ralph, a Bronx boy n a WW11 vet, for sure the Greatest Generation of our time. Ralph was also the N.Y. State 3 meter diving champ with dreams of going to the Olympics. When the call came he joined the Navy at 16 and lied bout his age. Ralph is the only racer to have won races over a 7 decade span, and at 90 he still owns two silver crown cars that his grandson Joe Liguori man handles them. I traveled with Ralph all over the country for 2 summers in the late 50s, some great stories bout the Championship Trail. When I saw the Indianapolis Speedway it was awesome and got the chills. When I got inside I said OMG, this is where Vuky died. Jimmy Bryan was a great guy that did some wild things. For kicks he would light a cherry bomb with his cigar and throw it in the back of a pickup when he passed one, but only when he felt like it, lol.. As great as some of these Legends were many of them were very humble but also crazy. Ralph and Eddie Sachs were close and I can tell u from being around Eddie he was not humble, he carried the nickname the CLOWN PRINCE, lol but I loved him.
Picture Added 12-09-2016 12:58 PM
Added by bobbyc1