PDA

View Full Version : History... Balboa Stadium - 1950s

Max Chappell
01-30-2011, 06:04 PM
My name is Max Chappell (Jr.). My dad (Max Sr.) raced at Balboa Stadium in the '50s. I was a small kid when he raced. I have a few photos I can share. I am currently looking for any other history of my dad or the race track. I will be posting these photos soon.

webby
01-30-2011, 07:22 PM
My name is Max Chappell (Jr.). My dad (Max Sr.) raced at Balboa Stadium in the '50s. I was a small kid when he raced. I have a few photos I can share. I am currently looking for any other history of my dad or the race track. I will be posting these photos soon.Welcome to Auto Racing Memories! I have certified your membership so now you have full privileges and you can post pictures if you want to. For tips on how to post images check out these instructional videos (http://autoracingmemories.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25).

Looking forward to hearing more of your auto racing memories!

Mitch G.
01-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Max, great to have you on board! What did your dad race! Don Edmunds was one of the best at Balboa, midgets and super mods. Parnelli Jones also drove stock cars, modifieds, and midgets at Balboa (Jones may not have driven midgets at Balboa, not sure). I think our own Larry Dunham drove at Balboa, I'll have to ask him, can't wait to see photo's.

bmeigs
01-31-2011, 01:01 PM
My name is Max Chappell (Jr.). My dad (Max Sr.) raced at Balboa Stadium in the '50s. I was a small kid when he raced. I have a few photos I can share. I am currently looking for any other history of my dad or the race track. I will be posting these photos soon.

Welcome Max! Being in San Diego myself, I can't wait to see more history of Balboa Stadium.

jimoutwest
02-01-2011, 04:01 PM
I have to say one of the best midget races I ever saw was at Balboa in 1958 Parnelli Jones had only been driving midgets for a short time he Allen Heat and Johnny Woods put on a back and forth for the lead duel I never forgot I was stationed there in the Navy at the time modifieds on Wed jalopy's on sat. they switched as the modifieds caught on then the spot midget races.
Jim

bmeigs
02-05-2011, 11:15 PM

Max- Great pix of Max Sr, and not bad on the avatar either! I'll bet some on the site will be able to identify with all those names on the Balboa Stadium Program lineup.