Indybail
01-31-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm gonna say Packard.

83x
01-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Studebaker

superstroke
01-31-2012, 12:55 PM
its a studebaker...and yea...its really kool. Used to be a guy here in Colorado that ran a Study named Mike Wooley. It wasn't as pretty as this one....but between Mikes driven and the Studys handlin and 327 Chevy power plant, they kicked some butts.

carc7
01-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Stude for sho! I remember Mike Wooley coming up to Lakeside (he was Colorado Springs) for the end-of-season Rocky Mountain Championship series and that Lark was flat DIALED IN! He took the fendered car championship! I remember the car being powered by an Avanti engine, though. Were they the same?

ghubrex
01-31-2012, 11:26 PM
Not just any old Studebaker, but a Studebaker Hawk. I think the Hawk was one of the more interesting designs of the late 50's.

83x
01-31-2012, 11:46 PM
Mike Wooley did a stint in NASCAR working on Bobby Isaac's car when
he drove the K&K Dodge.

Mike Croley
02-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Stude for sho! I remember Mike Wooley coming up to Lakeside (he was Colorado Springs) for the end-of-season Rocky Mountain Championship series and that Lark was flat DIALED IN! He took the fendered car championship! I remember the car being powered by an Avanti engine, though. Were they the same?

I think there was a rule that the body and engine had to come from the same manufacturer . So Mike called it an Avanti engine . I don't remember for sure if the Avanti used a 327 Chevy , but i wouldn't be surprised . I was told that the Lark was actually Mikes' mothers car before he turned it into a stock car .

superstroke
02-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Remember when Wooley brought the pink MOPAR to Century 21? I think that car was all NASCAR. However, I think it may have been a bit to heavy for 21. His success there was very limited.

frosty
02-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Mike Wooley from Lakeside probably 1967

http://autoracingmemories.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2233&stc=1&d=1328118165

83x
02-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Wooley drove a 55 chevy for Jim Willy before Willy and McDowell hooked up.

Mike Croley
02-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Jim Willy was the mechanical genius behind a number of drivers . Jim's Auto Service was the place to go to see some of the top cars and drivers in the Springs .Mike Woolley drove the blue # 50 Chevy for Jim . Then Bob Silvers drove the 1957 Chevy #409 for him . And then Jim and Ronny teamed up . That shop was right around the corner from City Glass , almost under the I-25 overpass .

carc7
02-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Do you know if Wooley is still around?

racefan2
02-03-2012, 04:35 PM
http://autoracingmemories.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=388&pictureid=5367&thumb=1 ('http://autoracingmemories.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=388&pictureid=5367')

Paul Morse with his 1955 studebaker Super Stock at Englewood Speedway 1967.

Mike Croley
02-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Do you know if Wooley is still around?

Yes , i understand that he is . Jim Davidson ( Pikes Peak Hillclimb driver and owner of City Glass in the Springs ) mentioned that he is in contact with Mike . Jim is a member of this site , so maybe he'll post additional info on Mike Woolley .

superstroke
02-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Hey RaceFan....Did you know Paul Morse?

I drove a wrecker for Paul in 69 or 70, eventually buying it from him. Paul was something else. He is the only man that I know who really could say that he had a harem of women. Paul had a big heart and would take care of homeless women.....and that was his story. His right hand man was named Jerry Miller. I can remember Paul, Jerry and a guy named Benny Vigil building a Charger car for E-Wood. Paul did not survive a massive heart attack which (I think) he suffered at E-Wood. He lived in the apartment building on the south-east corner of Colfax and Josephine. We (tow trucks) would chase wrecks from across the street in the old Safeway parking lot. Paul had two wreckers at that time. One was the 64 Ford that I drove and the other was a 65 Dodge, which was Pauls baby. One night while I sat at CO AND JO, Paul drives up and tells me he is tired and needs to catch some sleep and then informs me that his Dodge will be parked next to me for protection against thieves. I say OK and the next thing you know its mornin and Paul is beating on my truck window. I had fallen asleep and Pauls pride and joy was gone......HOLY S***!!!!!

Paul tells me I had better get it found. I begin to search...but I really had no idea where to start. Around noon, I started to think that I may have been the target of one of Pauls jokes. I drove over to Bennys house in west Denver and there sat the Dodge. It was fun and games for Paul, Benny and Jerry but if you were in my shoes (17 and dumb as a box-o-rocks) and you had your butt chewed as many times as I had by Paul, you would have been S*******Bricks too!!!

Olen McGuire
02-04-2012, 11:21 AM
LOL, funny story Rick. That's the kind of stories that fit right in with ARM. :rotfl:

cemar
02-14-2012, 09:51 PM
This is what that nice looking Stud. looked like the next week.
Went right to the junkyard from the track.:banghead:
cemar