Any one who has lived in the springs or even passed thru
the name Conways Red Top will ring a bell. for 68 years
a Red Top hamburger couldn't be beat. They also sponsored
a few stock cars. At one time they had 5 locations. It was
announced yesterday they would be closing the end of the
week. First Giuseppe's now Red Top.

TMEANS1950
07-31-2012, 08:30 PM
That is a darn shame. I have consumed many of Conway's great burgers!! Mostly at the Circle Drive location. They had great fries and milk shakes too!!

Mike Croley
08-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Sorry to hear that . I had many , many great burgers at the Red Top . Interestingly , i also got a serious case of food poisoning there once .

bmeigs
08-01-2012, 07:41 PM
You mean to say that Giuseppe's is completely out of business in the Springs now? We used to stop at the downtown location for pizza & pitchers every race night. There's never been anything (IMHO) like their "deep dish." I was hoping to make it back there at least one more time.

83x
08-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Bmegis
Giuseppe's closed about 2 years ago they do parties and banquets only. About 4 years ago the Colt family sold it. After eating their pizza since the 60's after they sold it just didn't taste the same. Replaced the garlic bread with something they called garlic bread. Did you Know Sam the bartender he was my cousin he passed away about five years ago.

bmeigs
08-02-2012, 10:33 AM
83X-
Don't remember Sam, but sure am sorry to hear how time just keeps taking a toll on the times and places we remember so fondly.

Mike Croley
08-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Bmegis
Giuseppe's closed about 2 years ago they do parties and banquets only. About 4 years ago the Colt family sold it. After eating their pizza since the 60's after they sold it just didn't taste the same. Replaced the garlic bread with something they called garlic bread. Did you Know Sam the bartender he was my cousin he passed away about five years ago.

I knew Sam very well , spent a lot of time with him in and outside of Gs . There was never any better pizza or garlic bread that theirs . Funny how fast new ownership can sink a thriving business .

Mike511
08-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Man what a DRAG, my Dad used to take me to the original Red Top downtown, I can remember Mr Conway cooking and his wife waiting tables, I think it became Conways Red Top after the kids started running it and that's when they expanded to the six locations. the burger were about 8-10 inches in dia. half a one was a meal!! Giuseppe's too, the original one downtown just south of Colorado on Cascade I think, then Giuseppe's East just south of Platte on Union, both great garlic bread and 3.2 brew when I was a kid!!

83x
08-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Good memories Mike, remember when it was on nevada under the freeway.
It come out in the newspaper today that it was about to be siezed by the IRS for back taxes. So they shut down so they could pay their employes. Sounds good to me one step ahead of the dam liberals.
Went to G's east for our rehersal dinner 44 year ago. Loved that garlic bread.

Mike Croley
08-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the photos Bill . It's been a long , long time since i saw the original Gs and the Rex Hotel . There's a lot of memories in that building for every high school and college kid from the 40s thru the 70s . Craig and i spent ( or misspent ) our youth in there . The new Gs at the railroad station opened a couple of years before i left the Springs . Liked the place , but there was no substitute for the original .

bmeigs
08-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Now that's what I'm talkin bout! The old Rex. My high school buddies & I from Florence would rush in there as fast as we could drive from the pits at Sportsman's down Platte after the main just to get in the door before closing time. Seems like we always ate enough to almost get sick. What times those were!