PDA

View Full Version : The "Start/Finish Line" Memorial Thread

Thomas E
06-21-2009, 09:16 AM
The "Start/Finish Line" Memorial is dedicated to the memory of the participants from the past of the "Greatest show on wheels" - A remembrance of yesterday . . .

As the ranks of the auto racing communities are slowly thinning, whether it was the "Hot Dog" or "Chrome-Shoe" driver's, car owner's, the folks who lettered and numbered the cars, and the loyal fan's; it causes one think and reflect, "I'm glad I knew them, I remember when . . . These passing modern gladiator's that handled their steeds of steel, rubber, chrome, and paint, in their arenas of competition of asphalt or dirt, varying in sizes from a fifth mile, half mile or mile, and the famed "Brick Yard" or Daytona.

We watched them win big, and DNF too; and there were the heart stoppers, those who went through that famed "X" and you would hear the bumpers "click". Our favorite driver might crash and that was it for the night, we would visit them in pits and say, "You'll do it the next time." We have seen the best, and some we dubbed the track villain; there were the also ranís that help provide some real entertainment it made for good competition. And when it was all said and done . . . Well letís just say they are a part of our very colorful past we'll always "Remember them"

A thought for today . . .

If with pleasure you are viewing any work a man is doing,
If you like or if you love him, tell him now.

Don't withhold your approbation till the preacher makes oration,
And he lies with snowy lilies o'er his brow.

For no matter how you shout it, he won't really care about it,
He won't know the many tear drops you have shed.

If you think some praise is do him,
Now is the time to tell it to him,
For he cannot read his tombstone when he is dead.

More than fame, more than money,
Is a comment kind and sunny,
And the hearty warm approval of a friend,
For it gives to life a savor,
Makes you stronger, makes you braver,
And it gives you heart and spirit to the end.

If he earns some praise bestow it,
If you like him let him know it,
Let the words of true encouragement be said,
Do not wait till life is over and he is beneath the clover . . .

For he cannot read his tombstone when he is dead.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined,
he will meet with a success unexpected."
~ Henry David Thoreau ~

Thomas E
06-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Rick Wasilko

Thomas E
08-12-2009, 05:35 AM
Michael "Patrick" FrazierNovember 28, 1945 - October 13, 2006

I always called him Michael, and sometimes Michael "P", he called me "Tommy," and we were friends for almost 46 years. At times I think about Michael, it is still hard to say I'm going to miss him.

Michael built and owned CARC modified's and moved on to sprint cars; he also worked in entertainment production for 40 years. We'd not see each other for a few weeks and when we did take up were we left off. Argue, or was it talk sternly (I can't remember), anyway it was about stuff, you know Ford's vs Chevy's, and never get upset and then move on.

We laughed at ourselves, and each other, especially when Michael would imitate Elvis, and I would follow with my Roy Orbison impersonation, we'd laugh, and say, "Thank you very much." In later years the two of us would some serious arm-chair racing.

A truer and more loyal friend I could never ask for. I hope you have one too.

Thomas E

lakeside #29
08-12-2009, 03:54 PM
To you that I knew and admired

Ed Mailo

Ed Mailo Jr.

Dick Mailo

Kenny Mailo

Jim "Lunchmeat" Moore

Ed Brunner

John Thomas

Merle Burrow

Darryl Awmiller

Joe Cornelison

Chris Ertler

Thomas E
08-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks lakeside29
Some of my racing friends that I knew

Eddie Jackson

Jim Malloy (James Jr.)

Dave Bartlett

James Malloy, Sr.

Ray Koch

Roy Bowe

Bob Couch, Sr.

Everett Colmen (Sonny's dad)

Bubby Chrisinger

schafer1
10-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Gary Schafer car owner 53 passed away 4 25 2005 His cars were driven by Jim Lunchmeat Moore and George Munst Green, Gary was also known as Lurch he even drove his own car at times and allowed me to drive it once, missed by myself and a few others, Harold Schafer old arm site member and carc life member.

Bobbyjr
10-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Robert W Jackson, Sr better known around these parts as Bobby "Jet-X" Jackson

carc7
10-14-2009, 04:08 PM
THE MAN: Sammy Sauer.
Fritz Wilson
Jimmy Clark
David Earl "Swede" Savage
Frank Young
Sponsor extraordinaire Rufus "Boots" Stallings
Peggy Plue
Jim Malloy
Jan Opperman
Jimmy Carruthers
Jimmy LaManna
Jack Thoms
Billy Streeter
Billy Vaughn
Bob Brown
Gus Thomas:

Just to name a few. . . :applaud:

JRKracer
10-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Some more greats: Earl Kouba, Warren Hamelton, Foster Campbell, Dean Gardner, Paul "Pappy" Hedrick, Donny Malone, Gordan Herring, Roy Walker, Jerry Richert Sr. Jud Larson, John Stevenson, Berry Kettering, and Jerry Unser. Except for Pappy and Dean I was thrilled by all these great men and race against few. Dusty heros of a bygone era. Thanks for the memories.
Joe Kouba