PDA

View Full Version : Warren Hamilton's #8 Offy, 1958

JimmyK
07-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Three shots of Warren Hamilton's #8 offy from 1958. The two trohpy girl shots must have been earlier in the year as Earl is sporting his brand new helmet he won in the shot with Warrren with the car on the trailer. FYI. that is the same new helmet Joe was wearing in the pic of the restored Duece. Earl's older helmet is the one I wore riding around in Baby (#55).

The trailer shot was taken at Lakeside, July 4, 1958.

Mitch G.
07-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Jimmy isn't that the old Vic Feldt built midget? In the last photo, check out the real old #41 midget in the background, man that's a real old midget to be running in 1958! Cool stuff!

JimmyK
07-26-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't know much about Poppy Warren's midgets. We'll have to ask the expert, Joe. :)
Here's a nice Leroy Byers action shot from 1958, not sure of the track. Earl, in the Hamilton #8 is passing the Ken Franks & [Sid] Blandford Ford.

Then there was Warren's sister car, #6 shown here with Earl Kouba, Warren Hamilton, and Pete Headrick at Lakeside in 1958 (Duncan Photography photo).

Next, is the Vic Felt built rail frame car Dad owned, shown here in 1946 with the Norberg engine in it at Lakeside (Don Surles photo, "Duke" I believe). If I remember correctly, this car was originally built with an aluminum frame. Also, notice the aluminum wheels, some of the first for the Denver area. The aluminum frame couldn't stand up to the twisting and torque and was replaced with steel rails. This car went to Gene Pastor (his first midget, I think), shown here with Gene and Ford power in 1956 at Lakeside (Duncan Photography).

JRKracer
07-27-2009, 12:44 PM
The Hamilton cars were in deed the Vic Felt built cars

Mitch G.
07-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Thought so, my dad always liked those cars, he moved to Denver from Fargo ND, in 1945 and started going to the midgets in 46'. When he'd tell me about midget racing in the 40's, he would always mention those cars.