PDA

View Full Version : The Black Panther Sprint Cars

VintageBuzz
08-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Thomas, Jeff, Vintage, et all, can you guys tell me if Pat Fraizer at one time or another had a Carl Adams built sprint car? It was very similar to the #16 in that the rear of the cage had an inverted "V" behind the drivers head, as opposed to the "A" in the cage like a Stanton Chassis. I'm referring to the dark and light blue#16 from the other post, the PF car has curved roll cage gusset's where the Stanton, Nance, and others had straight gusset's. I think Ken Heffner ended up with the Adams chassis, can't remember for sure. In Jeff's photo from Raceland, Larry Kassel is in a Stanton Copy that he and Dave Crocker built, I think. Mike Gregg is in a brand new LaVerne Nance built car. Early 80's were interesting times in Denver sprint car racing, always over 30 cars, and several Denver guys built their own cars, Joe McCarthy, Larry Kassel, Bill Goebel, Dave Crocker, probably others I've forgotten. At least that's how I remember it!

While doing some research concerning Mitch G.'s question above, I stumbled upon this gem of a site. When I see "Bardahl Spl" on an old black open-cockpit race car, it instantly gets my attention! ~VB
The Black Panther Sprint Cars (http://winfield.50megs.com/AAUpload/Panther/BlackPanther.htm)
Oh, and make sure you click on each photo as there are many photos hidden behind some of them!

VintageBuzz
08-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Dave Knox photo from the Bill Green collection:
Look at #43 Johnny Thomson just "punish" that cushion. Can you imagine how neat that would feel to the driver? ~VB

Olen McGuire
08-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Hey Buzz, that's a great find.I'm supposed to be retired, but I find myself spending most of the day going over these great sites.
Here's a clip of a flip from that site,this is Chuck Weyant at Reading, Pennsylvania on April 29,1956.

http://autoracingmemories.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=137&pictureid=870
(Bill Green collection)

Mitch G.
08-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Amazing site there Vintage!! Those guys had some major "Stones" to race in those days. Check out Weyant's hand crashing into that fence post in the 3rd photo, ouch! These are the kind of sites that give you the best look into auto racing's past.