PDA

View Full Version : My new book: Decades of Daring by Bill Hill

webby
08-12-2009, 01:13 PM
I am so excited! Today a package arrived for me. The well wrapped semi-heavy package contained the book Decades of Daring by Bill Hill. I am sure many of you are familiar with the book which chronicles midget auto racing in the rocky mountain region.

In the past I have thumbed through my brother Mitch's copy of this book but never had the time to give it a closer look. (until today)

Yet what makes this copy of the book so special is that it was given to me by one of the coolest guys I have even known in my life. ARM member Thomas E (http://autoracingmemories.com/forums/member.php?u=4) and I have grown close over the years communicating through various web forums and his friendship is one of the most fulfilling developments that all my "webmastering" has ever produced. Thomas (or as I refer to him "Psalmist") sent me my own copy of the book and it's even autographed by none other than Bill Hill himself.

I am sure I will spend hours and hours combing through this book in the near future and I will always treasure it! Thank you so much Thomas!! May God bless you and your wife.

Thomas E
08-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Your very welcome, you really deserve "Decades of Daring"

Hope you enjoy your time perusing through it, you'll see great photos and a lot of familar names. Among midget auto racing books it is one of the best.

Check . . .

Page 93, Jim Malloy in #1, I'm walking past it on left side of the photo.
Page 238, Jim Beckley's #168 Englewood modified, a sharp car.
Page 232, Spyder Anderson's #41, fuel injected v8-60 Ford. Fuel Injected!

Olen McGuire
08-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey Eric and Thomas, you are lucky guys to get a copy of that book,here's what's stated on the web site "BOOKS".

"Decades of Daring – Midget Racing in the Rocky Mountains- By Bill Hill

Relish tales of the midget racing clubs that roamed the Rockies including the RMMRA, CARC, CMRA, AAA and USAC. Encounter one of racing’s best-kept secrets, the highly competitive Utah midget circuit. Revisit Lakeside Speedway with stopovers at Englewood and Merchants Park, as well. Sojourn to the tracks in Grand Junction, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and many more.

Meet the speedsters who ravaged the Rockies during the daring decades of the 1930s through the mid-1970s.

This beautiful coffee-table quality book is printed on 384 glossy pages and includes 490 black and white vintage photos, 72 racer biographies.

This and the companion volume, One Tough Circuit, are collectors’ items."

Thomas E
08-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Hey Eric and Thomas, you are lucky guys to get a copy of that book . . .

This and the companion volume, One Tough Circuit, are collectors’ items."

Olen we are. It is a fabulous book, it makes a great companion book to Jack Fox' "The Mighty Midgets." I took every chance I could to get the autographs in "The Mighty Midgets" of the owners and or drivers that were still living.

My copy was given to me by my late friend Pat Frazier just after it was published, Pat (Michael) thought I was the greatest midget fan there was.

And I thought Eric should have a copy of his own, who is another dialed in great midget fan, so he got my extra copy.

Mitch G.
08-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Now that's cool, a post like this one makes my day. Now Eric can build on his knowledge of, and stir some memories, of the great midget racing days gone by.
Can't be too many guys like Thomas E, around.

Thomas E
08-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Whoa . . . wait . . . can you hear 'em?

The four fastest midgets for laps. The line-up is inverted.

They are coming down the back shoot headed for the north turn . . . Headed for the start/finish line. And for the next 48 to 60 seconds, it's hog heaven of methaol burning, castor oil smelling, rubber peeling, crowd pleasing excitement.

The four fastest finished the way they started, all tightly pack close together as they made their four circuits around the meca of racing - Lakeside Speedway, Denver, Colorado.

Picture this . . .
Grier Manning 42 on the pole. Earl Kouba 55 ouside front row.
Jimmy LaManna 27 inside second row. Eddie Jackson 5 ouside second row, fastest time.

The 4 lap trophy dash my favorite event. Over the years the drivers and car numbers would change, but what an exciting event it always was.

Next would be the 40 or 50 lap main events.

webby
08-12-2009, 03:50 PM
I was glad to see my pop and brother Mitch get a mention in the book.

But I'm still wondering why there was no mention of the famous "Punk Rock Pit Crew"??? ;)

RJ Butz
03-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Finally got my hands on one of these, WOW - this will be well protected! Looked at previous posts and saw Thomas E slinking past on page 93 - check out page 168 - my uncle Dick Butz with Eddie! Also pages 201-202 my uncle Duane Harr - I knew Bush well, he showed me how to "quick" change the rear gears on cousin Bobby's car - '80's. Was suprised to see Del Moak in the picture as growing up I knew him as Bush's and my dad's hunting partner after he left racing. Really miss him. Dad still has Del's Winchester 30-30. Mom was a Spyder fan I think. Memories? Great book if you can get one!:kurtis:

Quick Time
03-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Wow Webby,

That is good stuff and what a nice thing for Thomas to do for you......Your a real gentleman Thomas......Fun to see people bonding over the net.

Chuck