PDA

View Full Version : Chris Ertler's Mother passes,

Fastway
10-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Joan McGriff, Mother of Chris "Professor Coupe" Ertler passed away at 5:30 this evening after suffering a stroke.

Joan who was a WW2 veteran flight instructor in the NAVY. She remembered that one of her highlights was having Ted Williams as a student.

After taking her son Chris to his first race at Lakeside Speedway in the summer of 1960 at the age of 12. Chris was hooked thanks to Mom!

God Speed Joan, Chris and Miss.Peggy you are in our prayers and thoughts.

Greg & Debbie

Jerry Lee
10-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Man, I'm really sorry to hear this news. I had an interview with Chris slated to run today on the ARM as a little surprise for him. I'll be posting it later today anyway. My condolences to the Ertler family.

Olen McGuire
10-27-2009, 10:24 AM
I've been in touch with Miss Peggy by Email for some time now, and I also would like to send my condolences to the Ertler family. ~Olen

VintageBuzz
10-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Chris & Miss Peggy, I am deeply saddened by the loss of your Mother Joan McGriff. She had to a great mom to raise a good son like Chris and to serve our country during a time of war. ~Buzz

TPF
10-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Chris and Peggy, My heart goes out to you and your family. Take care you two. Tim Lori And Kyle Fogarty

Mitch G.
10-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Chris, Peggy, please accept my condolence's , your mother must have been a wonderful person.

lakeside #29
10-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Thank all of you for your kinds thoughts. This has been pretty taxing on the two of us, but we're going to be fine. All we need is some time.

My mother was very proud of serving in the U.S. Navy. She tought instrument flight at Pensacola, Florida. She operated a Link trainer which was a small flight simulator. It contained a cockpit for one, with rudder pedals and a control stick. When the hood was closed the interior was pitch black except for the light of the instruments on dash panel. The Link was mounted on bellows and could produce yaw, pitch, and roll conditions. The machine was stable as long as the restraints were fastened. It was very easy to become completely disoriented when strapped in and the restraint straps were off.

Mom didn't take abuse from any cadet. Often if a hot shot cadet got stupid and mouthed of, he got the ride of his life. She trained Navy, Marine Corps, and on some occaisions Royal Air Force pilots. And yes, baseball great Ted Williams was one her cadets. If it weren't for my grandfather who was a huge baseball fan, she would have just considered him just another cadet. She also had to take training flights herself, to maintain her rating. That was usually in SNJ (AT-6 Texans in the Air Force) trainers or if none were available thet would go up in PBY Catalina patrol planes. I often wondered if some of her cadets became aces or if they ever thought of the 5'3" Brunette Lt. when landing in the dark or caught in a storm.

Rest in peace Mom.

Chris and Peggy Ertler

Olen McGuire
10-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Chris, your mother was an impressive lady. Serving 10 years in the Air Force I know she had to be in a class all by herself. For those that don't know what a AT-6 Texan looks like, below are some pics of one. Thanks for sharing her story with us and may she rest in peace.~Olen

http://autoracingmemories.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=1153

http://autoracingmemories.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=1154

http://autoracingmemories.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=1155