PDA

View Full Version : 55 Chevy crash

rapid30
12-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Check this out
YouTube- 1955 Chevy drag race crash

Olen McGuire
12-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Hey Bruce, that's got to be the luckiest guy on earth. He couldn't have had a seat belt on, and if he did he wouldn't be here today. A rare occasion where a seat belt was the wrong thing. At first I saw this guy stand up and was wondering why he wasn't running to the crash to help the driver.Wow,~Olen

Mitch G.
12-08-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm guessing this is a time a poorly built car saved the guy. Had the seat, harness been properly installed, the crash may have killed him. Had the car been a top of the line, drag car he would have rode it out safely, just look what happens to the top fuel guys when they crash at 300 mph, they seldom get hurt bad. I agree, this is a rare instance where poor construction saved the guy, that's my view anyway.

Quick Time
12-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey Bruce,

What a footage, like Olen I thought the guy standing must have been a photographer or safety worker. I thought wow that guy just ducked one close call, then see it's the driver. One lucky (or unlucky) guy depending on how you view it. I agree the car looked like a bucket of bolts and wonder what year this occured. Just a seat belt would have taken this guys life.

Thanks for the post.

Chuck

Olen McGuire
12-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Hey Bruce,

What a footage, like Olen I thought the guy standing must have been a photographer or safety worker. I thought wow that guy just ducked one close call, then see it's the driver. One lucky (or unlucky) guy depending on how you view it. I agree the car looked like a bucket of bolts and wonder what year this occured. Just a seat belt would have taken this guys life.

Thanks for the post.

Chuck

Chuck, going through the Youtube files,this video was entered on May 9,2007 but it could have been around for a while. I really don't think someone would keep that video around very long before airing it somewhere.~Olen

Quick Time
12-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks Olen,

I keep thinking about the lack of a seatbelt. Could be one mount pulled loose. I know years ago when installing seatbelts many would just drill two holes and run a bolt through the floorboards with a nut on the underside. This could be the case, an oversize hole, rusted floorboards or just not putting large washers on the underside.

One good tug and the mount pulls through, possibility!!!!!!

Chuck