PDA

View Full Version : Salt Flats...

Hot Rod Angel
04-19-2010, 11:45 AM
OK, so I wasn't real sure where to put this, so I figured here was as good as any place...:)

I like to write, and I am rather pleased with how this came out, so I thought I would share....I would love to hear what you think....

Stand there on any given day, and you will likely hear the ghosts of the racers before you. In this peculiar place where time stands still, and goes by at speeds faster than one can imagine, a vast spanse of flat reaches as far as the eye can see and stretches out to meet the horizon. This is a hot-rodders sacred ground, the holy grail of speed. Your feet seem to tread lighter here, and your lungs fill with air that's crisp and salty and unlike anything you have ever drawn in to your body before. This is where dreams become reality, records are broken, and winning the race against time is everything. This is Bonneville.

Long shadows creep slowly across the track, created by the rising sun. The air is still, but close your eyes and allow your senses to be flooded with the sounds of tires crackling over the salt, the gears being shifted, the engines singing a symphony of velocity, and, if you listen closely, the ticking of the timing association clocks, marking every second that passes with precise, purposeful rhythm. Every day here is like the first, waiting with the anticipation of a child at Christmas, for that one week a year to arrive. The week when everything is put on the long, thin black line that is only found at the Salt Flats.

It's been said that this place is haunted by a strange sense of clarity...perhaps from the countless legends that have been born on the salt, the impossibilities that became reality. Their names echo forever against the mountains that have witnessed them all...Spirit of America...Mormon Meteor...Bluebird...Thunderbolt. This is a place to honor those who have dared to challenge sensible thinking, and will continue to spark the imaginations of many generations to come, fueling their late night dreams of speed and freedom.

Olen McGuire
04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Hey that's good descriptive writing HRA, you need to find a publisher and try a few short stories. ~Olen :cool:

Hot Rod Angel
04-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks Olen....not too bad, I guess, considering I've never been there.....:chuckle:

Quick Time
04-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Hey Hot Rod Angel,

Very well done, I love it......Best news of all I will be going there for my first visit Sept 15/17.....Really looking forward to the trip, I've wanted to see it since I was a hot rodder youngster.

Chuck

Thomas E
04-20-2010, 09:31 AM
The closest I ever got to the Salt Flats . . . Bonneville . . . was in the 50's, several of us lads would ride our bikes down to Kenz and Leslie's V-8 service, it was located in the 1200 block of Bannock Street, where we would get a chance to see their famous class 'E' streamliner 777.

We saw it when it was light blue and carried two flat head V-8's, then when it was transitioned to a yellow and red and three flat head V-8 engines, with the driver's position at the rear of the car. Of the sponsors of 777 that I remember was Denver's Bob Jones Skyland Ford, Hot Rod Magazine, Floyd Clymer Publications, etc.

Of course it was also a chance to look at K & L's fabulous midget race cars.

Hot Rod Angel
04-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Chuck, it sounds like you are really looking forward to going!
That will be an amazing trip! Be sure to take lots of pics...

Thomas~ Thanks for the trip down your memory lane...I could picture you and your friends, checkin' out the cool cars....
Me thinks it's high time that you plan a road trip to the Flats....:think:

Thomas E
04-21-2010, 05:50 AM
Bonneville isn't just for streamliners, coupes and motorcycles . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWmozLhuuXo

Thomas E
04-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Anyone else seen the movie, "The World's Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins.

Fun to watch a tribute to some high speed motorcylce racing at Bonneville.

Quick Time
04-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Hey Thomas,

Believe it or not they have a "barstool" race with two divisions or types.

I'll give a report after Sept 18TH....

Chuck

Thomas E
04-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Hey Thomas,

Believe it or not they have a "barstool" race with two divisions or types.

I'll give a report after Sept 18TH....

Chuck

I have seen pics of some bar stool racing thing-a-ma-jigs, yes us know, man that has to be a hoot.

Hot Rod Angel
04-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Good Morning Fellas~
Happy Friday!

Thomas, with a lawnmower like that, you could finish the yard in record time! Wonder if it comes with a cup holder??? Probably doesn't matter, you wouldn't have time to take a sip anyway....:chuckle:

I really like that movie, The World's Fastest Indian...it was amazing all of the things that poor guy had to go through, just to race his bike...Anthony Hopkins was great in that movie.