Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars

Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars (http://autoracingmemories.com/forums/index.php)
-   Race Tracks (http://autoracingmemories.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   In Remembrance... The Ghosts of old race tracks (http://autoracingmemories.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175)

Mitch G. 10-20-2015 09:56 AM

Re: The Ghosts of old race tracks

Excellent. Me the wife and kids went to a great vintage event at Texas World Speedway in College Station, TX about 7 or 8 years ago. Got to see genuine Indy Roadsters thunder around the old oval, and some amazing trans am, and sports cars run the road course. The first race ever held at Meyer was a USAC sprint car race won by A.J. Foyt. How about I-70 speedway near the Kansas /Missouri border?

Andrew4180 10-20-2015 11:37 AM

TWS Would be the big one.. haha the front office doesn't answer phone calls, or emails anymore. Gonna drive up to see what I can do. Never been to the track, just driven past it a number of times.

I-70 Speedway, paved oval, closed in 2008, where the Wallace family got their first claim to fame. Had a dirt speedway behind it. Still sits abandoned today. One of the tracks id love to gain access to and make a video of.

Mitch G. 10-21-2015 06:10 AM

Andrew, if you are close to Texas World Speedway, just drive up to the property, last I heard it was pretty easy to access it. This was some time ago, but as long as you are not there to vandalize the place, if anyone meets you at the gate, just tell them you are doing a video for a auto racing website!!! Also google Allen E. Brown and National Speedway Directory, he published a book, History of the American Speedway in 1985, it's old, but lists every speedway in all 50 states, many tracks have been built, and closed since 1985, but it's a great reference.

Andrew4180 10-21-2015 09:06 AM

TWS is in College Station, im on the Southeast side of Houston, its about 115 miles from me. Ive heard its relatively easy. Weather permitting im going Friday.

Thanks for the reference! At this time, I have over 375 racetracks on my google earth collection, opened and closed Dragstrips, Dirt tracks, Paved tracks, long since abandoned and developed properties, and a couple road courses. Adding more everyday!

Mitch G. 10-21-2015 09:24 AM

Andrew, do you visit the "Lost Speedways" page on Facebook? neat stuff on there but sad.

Mitch G. 10-21-2015 09:49 AM

8 Attachment(s)
From Allen E. Brown's "History of the American Speedway", published in 1985. All of Texas, and Louisiana.

Andrew4180 10-21-2015 01:07 PM

Yes sir, I do have that page, also the lost and abandoned dragstrips page. ive submitted my pics and videos on Meyer and Joplin 66 to the Lost Speedway page with no reply yet.

thank you for the pages! Ill have to check these out!

Andrew4180 10-22-2015 01:53 PM

After searching through those, I found 6 or 7 of them in Louisiana, a couple still operate today, a couple are housing developments, and a few of them are still there, slowly rotting away. In Texas, I already had all but 2 of them. Besides the ones that closed in the 30s and 40s. Hard to find any evidence of those these days.

Im shooting a possible 3 tracks tomorrow in the Bryan/College Station area. Possibly another 4-5 in East Tx this weekend, weather permitting. About 450 miles of driving planned out.

Andrew4180 10-24-2015 11:55 PM

https://www.facebook.com/andrew.thor...=3&pnref=story

I believe this is the link to my photo gallery, I got to shoot Texas World Speedway on Friday, I was given free roam minus where I really wanted to go. I was told to stay off the racing surfaces, and out of the main grandstand (sinkholes opening under it) the track has fallen into disrepair, but still grateful that I was allowed to take the pictures that I got.

Mitch G. 10-26-2015 08:13 AM

Great shots! sad to see it go away, seems like a neat oval, wonder why it never really caught on, especially in Texas.