View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
parrot

Default Ralph Huntsinger

Chris Ertler had asked about Ralph Huntsiger, and while I don't have much, I did find a few action photos. When a car number is mentioned, a certain driver just seems to come to mind as being associated with that car. Ralph Huntsinger is one such Lakeside Speedway driver. I just always connect #49 with him. A search of lakeside Speedway programs shows that the Huntsigers (Ralph and Ben) were involved from 1955 into the early sixties. Sometimes as just owners with Eldon Miller as the driver for a few seasons, then with Ralph as the driver. I seem to remember the white cars with black numbers the most, but some photos show just the reverse, black cars with white numbers.

I don't remember the black '32 3 window from 1955. Eldon Miller listed as the driver mixing it up with #75 Dave Frazer in one of the Mt. Vernon Service cars, a team mate to John Palmer in #95. Others shown here are #55 Jim Snyder, and #135 Bob Harst, one of the few '35-36 Fords still racing in 1955. This is a photo of a photo that I took from the album of one of the pit crew members of the Palmers, so it isn't quite as clear as I'd like it.

Courtesy of ARM contributor CARC7, the Duncan Photo of the Huntsinger car, this time a '34 3 window, has come to a sudden stop against the flagman's barrier in a tangle with several others. #51 is Major Cooksey, and #22 is Ronnie Lee.

I think most have seen the CARC program "Remember When" action photo of the '34 5 window coupe from 1959. I cropped it down for my own photo album. This is one of the cars I remember, mostly because I thought the number style was interesting.

A couple of others come to mind, which I believe were shown on the old CRM site. They include both a '34 5 window coupe, year unknown, and a '32 5 window coupe from 1961. Both appear to be black. I'd like to find better photos of the Huntsinger cars, perhaps this little blip about them will stimulate some interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#49, 1955.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	565   Click image for larger version

Name:	#49, 1957.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	566   Click image for larger version

Name:	#49, 1959.jpg
Views:	404