View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
VintageBuzz

Default Re: New from Cheyenne Wy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofdude View Post
Hi, my name is Bill Guthrie and I love looking at the old drag racing pictures from the fifties & sixties.
I had an uncle ( John Woodhouse ) that use to drag race back in the mid 50's to early 70's that I was hoping someone would have remembered racing with or against him. He was part of the Soda Pop Gang and also raced a 23 T BB/A Roadster Conaway / Woodhouse. They raced all over and including Cheyenne. Would love to see some pictures if anyone has any.
Bill-- Welcome to ARM. It's a super neat site along with some great people.

I knew your Uncle John. Some 46-years ago, Billy Noud and I knocked on your uncle's door there in his Sun Valley subdivision located just east and south of downtown Cheyenne. In a few short minutes, Billy was the proud owner of your uncle's bright yellow '55 Chevy 210 2-door sedan street car. Man, that was some car as it had a pretty tricked out 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-speed turbo-hydro out of a Chrysler behind it. Billy was in envy of every male at Cheyenne East High, especially in our shop classes.

A few year's later, I ended up owning that cool '55 Chevy less engine and trans. I eventually sold it to Jimmy Maves and Stevie Montez and never saw it again around Cheyenne.

I'm pretty sure that my dad's collection has some photos and articles of your uncle's 23 T BB/A roadster that he and Bernard Conaway campaigned at drag strips in the tri-state area (Wyoming, Colorado, and Kansas). I'll look for them this weekend and post them here in ARM.

As a kid and then young adult, the Soda Pop Gang were my heroes. I'd love to see some photos of the white/blue C/Gas '55 Chevy 210 2-door sedan that Conway / Woodhouse built in the back part of Bernard's soda pop bottling company located then on the corner of Lincoln Way (16th Street) and Logan Avenue. That was one mean gasser that could beat about anything in its class.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Soda Pop Gang #64 '55 Chevy 2-door sedan that Jack Hahn drove at Intermountain Speedway back in the mid-60s. Jack in his yellow #64 and Kenny Clark in his green #13 battled each other every Saturday night on that neat little 1/5th mile paved oval. Man, that was great old school racin at its very best! ~VB
VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote