View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Bob Baerresen
Bearsun

Default Re: Track Photographer, 1950, Englewood Speedway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
Welcome Bob! There are some really neat photos in that album! Canít wait to hear more about your time at Englewood.

CLICK HERE to view Bobís photo album.
Howdy Jerry Lee,
Started my racing career early as a fire truck driver, age 5 in 1937...
On the night I went to the Englewood Speedway to apprentice being a track photographer the regular photog got fired for selling stock car pics at the midget races. During that evening Ray Koch fired the other photographer and made me the track photog with only my little 35mm Bolsey B2 camera to use. Not being prepared to be the only photographer I only had a few flash bulbs. They actually held up a presentation with the Trophy Girl until I could race several miles in my 1929 Model A Ford down to the Rexall Drug Store in Englewood and buy more. The Race Track Announcer had a ball tracking my trip and made a "Here He Comes!" announcement and played the "Flight of the Bumblebee" as I approached the race track on my return... That '29 Ford coup with a rumble seat was one of my favorite cars and I could drive almost all the way from Englewood to Evergreen in the mountains in High gear.
My dad used to play auto polo in the 1920's in his Model T Ford at Merchants Park Baseball Field just by the old Montgomery Wards store, now torn down, on South Broadway in Denver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob Baerresen Fireman Apprentice 3337 E 14th Ave, Denver, Co 001.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob's 1929 Model A.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1283  
Bob Baerresen is offline   Reply With Quote