View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: Track Photographer, 1950, Englewood Speedway

Thanks Bob! You are the missing piece to a puzzle I've been working on for quite a few years.

When Charlie Codner bought Englewood Speedway from Ed Clark & Carroll Quelland in 1950, Codner did some track renovation before the season started. Another big renovation of the facility was done again before the 1952 season and the track was touted in newspaper ads as "The New Englewood Speedway". Through my research I narrowed down the seating change to either '50 or '52, but those I interviewed who were there at that time could not remember. Your recollection now leads me to believe that the grandstands were moved to the North during the 1952 reconstruction of the track. Thank you!

Over the years I ran across a couple other Englewood photographers who had thrown out their negatives and prints because they figured no one would be interested in them years later. Kind of sickening to think about all that great history rotting away in a landfill somewhere. I'm glad you saved yours and shared them with us.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links