View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
Bob Baerresen
Bearsun

Default Re: Track Photographer, 1950, Englewood Speedway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Bob, what fascinating stories, must have been good times. Funny how some path's don't cross, LeRoy Byers is considered one of the finest auto racing photographers in the country, he's 80 years old this year, he also started shooting in 1950, he followed the midgets the most as he started attending the midget shows at Lakeside in the 1940's. LeRoy was in Korea in 51' and 52' I think, he has a huge warehouse on Cherokee street where he keeps numerous midgets, one of which is the fully restored Lloyd Axel #5 Kurtis Offy, it's beautiful.
Almost any auto racing publication regarding midgets or midget history has his photo's, and he was featured in an article in "Open Wheel Magazine" sometime in the 80's, he shot thousands of black and white photo's from 1950 till the late 1980's. My dad turned 80 in July he to was in Korea in 51 and 52, he raced coupes at Lakeside from 1955 till 1958 and raced a midget at Englewood on the dirt for the 1959 season. Keep posting your stories, and any photo's you find, your history is valuable to the sport!!
Howdy Mitch.... I'm now 77, soon to be 78 in September, and in 1951 I joined the Navy and stayed for ten years. Had it not been for the Korean war I might have become a Denver Post Photographer because that's where I was working from 1948 until 1950 and had great photo instructors there. Taking pictures at the Englewood Speedway was my hobby, and who knows, racing might have become a part time occupation as both a driver and a photographer... Still love to drive fast, but I've never done professional racing. I think I've posted all the pics I took at Englewood, but if I find more I'll post them. For three years I was Stationed at NATO/SHAPE Paris and could drive my 1955 bright red Nash-Hudson Rambler Station Wagon (that I bought with my 6 year reenlistment bonus) over the speedometer's limit of 100mph and was still going, downhill, to Paris... On some of the French highways built when the Germans occupied France they didn't have speed limits. I used to take my buddies to a Pigalle bar in Paris, at 100mph, where one night the ladies of the evening held a mock election and made me the Mayor of Pigalle! Ah, to be young again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nash-Hudson 1955 Rambler.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1287  
Bob Baerresen is offline   Reply With Quote