View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
lakeside #29

Default Re: Coupe faces 1962

Mitch, These were some pretty cool program covers, the only to negative to these progams was the line-up sheet and photo-bio were inserts and easy to lose.
The #28 was owned by Boots Stallings and was lettered by Hed sign shop in the 4900 block of Lowell Blvd.

The #85 was indeed a '32 Vic and owned by Lester Kelly. It was driven by Jack Thoms, who won multiple championships while driving for Mr. Kelly. I believe the Vic got rolled during a Metropolitan Championship at Englewood Speedway in 1960.

The #68 was a '32 Hudson with a flathead Hudson 6. This car in 1961 was the first modified at Lakeside to break into the 13 second bracket. I believe the car was left in buffed bare metal to save weight. Notice that the #68 has a right rear 3/4 ton floater hub, this was not yet a common practice. This car was probably one of the loudest cars at Lakeside. Hudson's exhaust was on the right side.
The CARC held a contest in 1961 to name this car. The winning name "The Silver Streak" was submitted by Lois Hupfer. She received free passes, pictures, and a chance to meet Mr. Palmer.

Sadly Mr. Palmer passed away before the 1962 season began. Brother Don Palmer took over the sedan and ran it through the 1967 season.

I wish I could tell you who the trophy girls were. They were certainly good looking.

Current CARC racer Bill Kolb is John Palmer's nephew.

Chris Ertler-"professor coupe"

Last edited by lakeside #29; 09-24-2009 at 02:32 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote