Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
RJ Butz

Default Unidentified drivers

Hey, all. have some photos with no names to them. A #3 VW out of Fort Collins in the '70's - driver was a crop duster by day. Also a #12 sprint and others in action.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#3vw.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	2835   Click image for larger version

Name:	#12sprint.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	2836   Click image for larger version

Name:	threewide.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	2837  
RJ Butz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Mitch G.

Default Re: Unidentified drivers

Robert "Buzz" Tappley in his own Schleiger built VW #3 midget, Buddy Taylor ,the all time New Mexico racing legend in the #12 sprint car. A trio of midgets at Englewood Speedway, looks like Leo Tucker on the inside in Jim Mack's #66 Edmunds copy VW, Bud Wittfield in his own #6 Edmunds VW, and Eddie Coleman son of the great Sonny Coleman (1950 RMMRA champ) in Roger Mauro's Edmunds "Low Bar" Vw #7 at Englewood, probably 1977. I must amend this post, somewhere along the way I remember being told the #66 was a Edmunds copy, but it sure looks like the genuine article to me, if anything the Wittfield #6 may be a Edmunds copy the roll cage has much tighter bends on the front tubing of the cage, but I do not know for sure. On another note, look at the score board at Englewood Speedway in the midget race shot, guess who is leading?, Yep, it's "Buzz" Tappley, in his #3 on the way to winning the "Denver Midget Classic", I'll check but I think it was 1977.

Last edited by Mitch G.; 04-08-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Mitch G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
RJ Butz

Thanks, Mitch. I've made notes for Uncle Dick so he won't forget these guys' names. Also got some albums up finally and then computer took a dive. Borrowing one now to do this stuff - luckily backed up my pics! Also eerie about that engine & Eddie! Thanks again for the info. Ronnie
RJ Butz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
cooderbrown

The guy i the #7 I believe is Gary Staggers driving the Redden Custom Coach VW.
cooderbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Mitch G.

That particular #7 is a Edmunds "Low Bar" car, (look at the location of the front torsion bars) a design that was not as successful as Don Edmunds would have liked. Bill Redden's cars were all Ron Schleiger built "RaceCraft" cars. Roger Mauro bought 2 of those low bar cars, Dave Strickland Sr. drove the #1, Eddie Coleman the #7. The #1 car was destroyed in a terrific back chute tumble at Colorado National Speedway, Pat Meyers was involved in that wreck also. The #7 was purchased by Ken Slocum for his son Casey to drive, they had Ron Schleiger convert it into a regular High bar design, if I'm not mistaken.
Mitch G. is online now   Reply With Quote