Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > New Members Post Here First!

New Members Post Here First! After you register on the AutoRacingMemories.com forums please make a thread here first and introduce yourself!

Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Herring1
One Post Wonder

Default Looking for info, pictures, history

Hello,
I'm looking for information on my grandfather Gordon Kenneth Herring. I have very little info and no pictures. He lived in Arizona. Originally he was married to Evelyn Promberger they had a son Craig. Evelyn and Gordon divorced and Gordon moved to the Denver area of Colorado. He remarried and I believe had another son "Bob" Robert Herring. Looking for any info about Gordon and his racing career and if Bob Herring is still alive. I know Gordon was killed racing in August of 1964. My name is Brian Kenneth Herring and any info or contacts would be very helpful.
Herring1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
superstroke

Default Re: Looking for info, pictures, history

Hi Brian and welcome to Auto Racing Memories.

I never got to meet Gordon Herring, but Bob was my boss back in 1969 and drove a modified stock car for a good friend of mine named Mike Barney. If you surf around in here, you will run into some pictures of Bob in Mikes modified and a few other mods too, not to mention late models, sprinters and his yearly run up Pikes Peak. I do not know if Bob is still with us, but I am sure someone on here will know. Until then, here is a page out of a 1967 Cavalcade of Auto Racing magazine that shows both Bob and Gordon. Good Luck with your search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 cavalcade colo bcra193.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	2733  

Rick Losh "Superstroke"
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
webby
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herring1 View Post
Hello,
I'm looking for information on my grandfather Gordon Kenneth Herring. I have very little info and no pictures. He lived in Arizona. Originally he was married to Evelyn Promberger they had a son Craig. Evelyn and Gordon divorced and Gordon moved to the Denver area of Colorado. He remarried and I believe had another son "Bob" Robert Herring. Looking for any info about Gordon and his racing career and if Bob Herring is still alive. I know Gordon was killed racing in August of 1964. My name is Brian Kenneth Herring and any info or contacts would be very helpful.
Welcome to Auto Racing Memories! I have certified your membership so now you have full privileges and you can post pictures if you want to. For tips on how to post images check out these instructional videos.

Looking forward to hearing more of your auto racing memories!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
CIRCLETRACK

Herring1,
I am nerw at posting photos here so I hope this works out. I f not I will try again.
Attached is a photo of Gordon that i took at the 1956 Pikes Peak hillclimb in Colorado springs. Unfortunately i don't have any of the results other than Bobby Unser won that year.
Also, I have attached photo copies of News paper articles from August 1954 in Pueblo Co.
They are microfiche copies scanned and are difficult to read.
The racees were Aug 28 & 29 1954 at the Colo State Fair.
the AAA sanctioned them ( they were competeing against NASCAR at the time ) Some of the top drivers who also ran Nascar were there including Marshal Teague,Frank Mundy (both drove Hudsons).
Gordon drove a 1953 Dodge and finished 6th on Sat and 4th on Sunday among some of the nations top stock car drivers of the time.
Let me know if this does not come out.
Rich compton
CIRCLETRACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Wayne Arner
Rookie

Gordon Herring was one of the best Big Car Drivers in the Ry. Mtn. area at the time of his death. He unfortunately was badly injured on Aug.24, 1964 at the Steele Cty. Fairgrounds in Owatonna, Minnesota, in an IMCA Sprint Car Race. He passed away the next day in St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester Minnesota. He was 44 yrs.old. He was a 2 time BCRA Champion, went up the "hill" 8 times, with his best finish in 1960, starting 5th, and finished 4th. He was a great guy, and well respected by the Colo. racing fraternity. The IMCA Yearbook gave him a great tribute: "Gordon Herrring: a businessman, a gentleman and a veteran race driver whose very presence at a meet added class to the presentation. Gordon Herring whose kindness and consideration of others was an inherent part of his character. Gordon Herring who loved racing more than anything else in the world." Quite a tribute for a guy who started at Lakeside Speedway in 1952, and rose to the top in IMCA. His son Bobby, also drove Sprint cars, but passed away in 1998 at 56 yrs. of age. Gordon's generosity was extended to many in the Denver area, and the pool parties at his home on Indiana were the talk of the town! His wife, "Lee", married Roy Walker after Gordons' death and she passed away in 1966. I have recommended him to the Belleville, KS. "Hi-Banks" HOF, and hope that they will honor him with Induction in the future, as this was one of his favorite tracks.
Wayne Arner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
JRKracer

Hello Brian, I knew your granddad well as a kid. My dad , Earl Kouba, and Gordon were pretty good friends. Dad drove for Gordon in 59, 60, and part of 61. I was at his and Lee's home many times and loved swimming in their pool.
we have a few 8mm movies of him and some pictures as well. You may contact me via e-mail, JRKracer@aol.com, to visit as well as seeing about telling some stories.
Joe Kouba
JRKracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
Wayne Arner
Rookie

In searching my files, I found this great picture of Gordon in his #37 Champ Car he raced in BCRA and IMCA Big Car races from 1958-64. He obtained this car from Jack Hinkle and it had been very successfully driven by Jack McGrath,on the USAC Champ trail. It was bright Yellow, and sponsored by Ryder Truck Rental. This picture was taken by L.A. Ward, longtime contributor to NSSN. There are more pictures, (at least 14), in "BIG CAR Thunder" VOL.1,by Bob Mays, a book about Big Car Drivers of State and Cty. Fair circuits, of Gordon and his cars. The book is available from SpeedwayMotors.com, and their latest catalog shows it on p. 337, as item#910-85185.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gordon_Herring.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	2838  
Wayne Arner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
JimmyK

Hi Brian:
I'm Earl Kouba's youngest son (Joe's little brother). I have a few pics of Gordon that I can share when I'm back home this weekend. I was too young to know/remember him personally, and besides, Joe is the story teller of the family.
Jimmy Kouba
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
JimmyK

Here are a few pics. The trophy girl in the last one is Bonnie Pastor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1956-Earl-Midget Dash Champ.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	2859   Click image for larger version

Name:	1958-Herring-Peak.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	2860   Click image for larger version

Name:	1959-GordonHerring-3-BonniePastor.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	2861  
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #10
RJ Butz

Hello, ARM Guys (and Gals!). Check out Bill Hill's "Decades of Daring" book pages 176 and 208. Pics and some info.
RJ Butz is offline   Reply With Quote