Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Mitch G.

Default RMMRA invades Aztec, 1975

I believe the RMMRA midgets are scheduled to return to Aztec, New Mexico this year sometime. RJ Butz supplied me with some cool personal collection photo's his Uncle Dick shot in 1975 when the RMMRA ran a co-sanctioned midget race with the Mighty Midgets of Arizona. Track looks narrow to me, I think it's a 3/8 mile, never been there myself, pretty scenic high desert setting however.

Hot laps about to start, Gary Staggers in his own Offy #43, looks like Ross Leslie in his Grant King SESCO #27, maybe Terry Plummer in his #9 Chevy II.

The Arizona guys brought a couple old roughed up Kurtis or Kurtis copy, Chevy II's, those midgets have seen lots of action.

Duane Harr in his Edmunds Chevy II, shows nice dirt track form, typical nice looking Denver midget.

Weird roll cage attached to this Arizona car, I believe the driver/owner was Phoenix resident, Warren Wampole.

Mary Lou Hall in her Dad's Edmunds SESCO, I remember seeing her race in Denver a couple of times. From Albuquerque NM, I think?

Here is Brian Renshaw in his own Edmunds SESCO, Brian went on to win a couple of Arizona midget championships, and 2 Belleville Nationals pre-lim features. This was his rookie year, I think, he bought this car from Denver's Ralph Hauser, it was a deep purple #44 when Ralph raced it. Hauser hit the wall at Lakeside Speedway head on in this car one night, knocking him cold.

Frank Mantello, always a threat to win a main event, in the wheel house of the always beautiful Hainds&Ludwig Edmunds SESCO Chevy.
If any members were at this show, jump in and add to, and or correct my info, I don't know who won the races it was 4th of July weekend, Pikes Peak Speedway in Colorado Springs on the 3rd, Speedway Park, Albuquerque NM on the 4th, and Aztec Speedway on the 5th, July 1975.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links