Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > New Members Post Here First!

New Members Post Here First! After you register on the AutoRacingMemories.com forums please make a thread here first and introduce yourself!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
floyd barnes
One Post Wonder

Default xdriver

trying to reconnect from my old days, was a driver at lakeside speedway in the 60's . drove no. 21, also owned # 22 audrey bolyard was my powderpuff driver.
floyd barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Thomas E

Default Re: xdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd barnes View Post
trying to reconnect from my old days, was a driver at lakeside speedway in the 60's . drove no. 21, also owned # 22 audrey bolyard was my powderpuff driver.
I remember "The Barnes Boys" Floyd and Loyd Barnes, in number 21 Plymouth, don't recall the body year, but one of the CARC members said it was a 3 window opera coupe.

Floyd, welcome to ARM.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd barnes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E View Post
I remember "The Barnes Boys" Floyd and Loyd Barnes, in number 21 Plymouth, don't recall the body year, but one of the CARC members said it was a 3 window opera coupe.

Floyd, welcome to ARM.
Look at what I found elsewhere...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Number 21 Barnes Plymouth.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	3585  

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
lakeside #29

Hi Floyd, Welcome to ARM. You are among friends here. There are a lot of Lakeside folks that regularly contribute. It will be great to hear stories from someone who raced there in the '50's and '60's. You guys that ran non-Fords really got my attention back then. You and Harry McCool, Fred Henning, the Palmer brothers, Cowboy Jackson, the Flanagans,and Clarence Krieger were cool. You know I still have your autograph in my collection.
Glad you're here, please don't be bashful, we all love bench racing.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
carc7

Floyd, it was great to talk to you the other night. Glad to see you found ARM; it's a great site with tons of great information! Feel free to contact me again any time. If you're in the Denver area we'll have lunch! I'll look through my collection and see if I've got any pics of Audrey with the 22 car.
Paul Bredenberg
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
parrot

Think my computer gremlins gone now. Wanted to add to this post. Those Plymouths seemed to run pretty well. Always wondered which of Mopar's flathead sixes were used in those cars.

Hadn't seen that photo submitted by Thomas. Appears to be a 1932 PA coupe, the smaller of the coupes from Plymouth that year with the characteristic oval backlite. Guessing that photo is from 1962.

Dug through my stuff and found a few more. The first is 1961 from the W.A.R.C. Yearbook showing Floyd winning a trophy at Intermountain Speedway in Cheyenne in what appears to be a '33 Plymouth.

The action photo is one that Lakeside Speedway track photog. Scotty Duncan took in 1963. (One of the last ones I got from him before his studiio was wiped out during the flood of '65) Appears to be the same three window coupe, but with different lettering. Don't remember how this turned out, but doesn't look good from this angle. Others shown are the #10 Chevy of John Thomas and #57, Larry Balderston.

Final photo is one that I took outside the pit gate in 1964. That '29-30 Chevy #22 was owned by Donald Strong with Floyd listed in the program as the driver. Didn't remember that. Are those his hands sticking out the top?! Haven't run across any photos of Audry Bolyard yet.

Hoping that Mr. Barnes has some stories and other photos that he can share on this site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#21 Barnes (Small).jpg
Views:	159
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	3651   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963 Floyd Barnes.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	3652   Click image for larger version

Name:	#22 Barnes.jpg
Views:	153