Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
VintageBuzz

Default Re: C. A. R. C. Modifieds - 1950's

Hey Jerry Lee-- You've got yet another award winning thread going here!
If I remember correctly, I included my dad's 8 1/2 x 11 photo of John Pachello and his #62D trophy win along with all of those SP photos that I sent to you. So when you get a chance, please post that big photo for all of us to enjoy. ~VB

Quotes noted below are from superstroke's thread: http://autoracingmemories.com/forums...achello&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E View Post
John Pachello and 62D. Black with lots of chrome. Late 50's. Possibly a trophy dash win, note the small trophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carc7 View Post
The #62 car is the first one that John co-owned with Tedo Spano. Tedo drove the car, but John took it up to Cheyenne after they finished building it just to test it out. He won the race up there; I believe it was his only race night as a driver. That would have been 1959. John took over the #19 after Bill Ward gave it up when he quit racing. I asked John when he was inducted into the Colorado Motorsports Hall of Fame why he chose the #19. His response: it was one of the few available at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBuzz View Post
Thanks, carc7! I always knew this #62D photo was from Intermountain Speedway in Cheyenne, WY because the photo belonged to my Dad, Lou Wendzel, who very rarely attended the races at Lakeside Speedway after 1953. Plus, the story that was passed down to me is that John won the trophy in a Mechanic's Race, not in a regular-race that night. ~VB

Last edited by VintageBuzz; 01-10-2013 at 09:37 PM.
VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Can do, Buzzman! Here's the pic of John Pachello and the #62D....

(Lou Wendzel collection/Courtesy Buzz Wendzel)
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
Mitch G.

Great thread Jerry Lee!
I'm not tooting my dad's horn, this is for reference material, parrot (Bill Perrat)used some of this material in the bio he did about my dad, these photo's give a good idea of how quick the coupe's progressed. I think dad's first year was 1953, when they showed up at Lakeside they were told to change the number as Jerry Malloy already had #37, so they created the "VooDoo Wagon" #51, green and white stripes.

The "VooDoo Wagon" spins in front of Jerry Malloy and his #37, 1953 I think. Check out the crowd at Lakeside!!! Oh yeah, notice the leather belt on the "A" pillar holding the door closed.

1954, white with light blue bottom half of car, dad's favorite watering hole as sponsor, note partial fenders same nerf bars as 1953.

Now he's got a cool new 34' 3 window, for 1955 all white, check out the cars behind dad's car. This car was built by a local speed shop that built Lakeside coupes, but I can't remember who it was. Check out the nice tubular nerf bars, and no fenders remain. By the way, that's pop with helmet, then his younger brother Carl, and far left is Jack DeShon. Dad drove Jack's midget in 1959. Now the coupe experts can I.D the cars in the background and see if I'm close on the years.

Back with a 5 window for 1956, and a new sponsor, which I believe bought him a couple of tires, but more importantly let them have free beer!! He sold this car to a buddy of his who painted it black #89, it ran at Lakeside in 1957, guys name was Don something, now I forget, Bill Perrat knows who I'm talking about. That was it for my dad in the coupes, he spent some time in California in late 1957, then married my mom in 1958, drove midgets in 59' then quit altogether. Dad really loved those old coupes.

Last edited by Mitch G.; 01-11-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Mitch, thanks for including your Dad's cars to this thread. The "Voodoo Wagon" has to be one of my favorite paint schemes on a race car from any era! The color pic of this car is a total plus. And using the color green at that time was a fantastic move.

Here's some more images from that great 1950's era of the C.A.R.C......

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Fritz Wilson (left) with a 1954 win.

(J.L. McGuire collection/Duncan Photographers) Late '50's action with Don Hewitt #89.
Bill Perrat is still doing some research on who the others might be in this photo.

(Autumn Case collection) A Blu Plemons win from the early '50's.

(credit unknown) 1950's pile up on the front chute at Lakeside. Could that be Fritz
Wilson in the 6D up in the air??

(Bill Perrat collection) Dan Day and crew from 1958.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 01-11-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
Mitch, thanks for including your Dad's cars to this thread. The "Voodoo Wagon" has to be one of my favorite paint schemes on a race car from any era! The color pic of this car is a total plus. And using the color green at that time was a fantastic move.

Here's some more images from that great 1950's era of the C.A.R.C......

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Fritz Wilson (left) with a 1954 win.
I believe the fellow standing on the right of Fritz is Norm Engblom.

Norm and Morris "Moose" Jackson had a used car deal going together at one time. Morris "Moose" Jackson had a used car lot in the early 60's on 500 block South Federal in Denver.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...

Last edited by Thomas E; 01-13-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Mitch G.

A couple more,

A program cover from 1954.

1957 Left to right, Don Hewitt, Mike Guttormson, John Guttormson, this was the car that my dad had in 1956, the gold and red #65. He sold it to Don Hewitt, dad said this car always had handling and overheating problems even though it was a well built car.

1955 or 56? Left to right, unknown, John Guttormson, Lee Higgenbotham(sp?) if I remember correctly, Higgenbotham had his hands blown off in WWII (or maybe Korea) when he put his army helmet over a live enemy hand grenade to save his buddies. I think dad said he somehow stapped his hands to the steering wheel. Now this may be Englewood Speedway from the looks of the fencing in the background, so it may or may not be a CARC car. Can any of you coupe historians verify or correct my info? Forgive me if I've posted this stuff before. Oh yeah, on the back of this 8x10 glossy it says, "ACE PHOTOGRAPHER Ted Ostrander MA.3-3754
Old 01-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
Mitch G.

Some more from my dads collection.

1953, the "VooDoo Wagon" is facing you

1954, full house in the main grandstands, John Guttormson in #51.

1954, Guttormson in #51 against the guardrail, maybe a Wednesday night show judging from the crowd size?

1954, dad is in his #51, hidden by #2, another small crowd for Lakeside standards, again maybe middle of the week show.

1956, my dad's #65 can just be seen beyond the #22, check out the flame job on #77! I'll let the coupe professionals I.D. all the other cars in these photos. If any of you members want hi resolution copies of these photo's let me know, I'll re-scan and email them to you, full size.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Ahh, these are great Mitch, I haven't seen these pics before. Bill Perrat will have fun with these if he hasn't already seen them.

I would tend to think that the pic of the #53 Mickey Mouse car was taken in the infield at Englewood. Not only from the fencing in the background, but by the name Ted Ostrander stamped on the back. Ted was one of the main phographers at Englewood during the '50's & '60's. There were other guys as well, but Ted was out there for many years. Unfortunately, when photos were printed in the programs, there was usually no photo credits given, and a lot of his work went uncredited. I'm sure Ted probably took a good portion of the photos I've posted from Englewood here on ARM......Sometime during the late '80's, I actually tracked down Mr. Ostrander and asked him about his vast collection. Sadly, he said he didn't think anyone would remember the old speedway after a few years, so he threw all of his prints and negs into the trash. Even more sad was the fact that he had supposedly done this just a few weeks before I finally got a hold of him. "Wish I had 'em for ya!", was his reply. I was kind of sick thinking about so many great images and history just rotting away in a landfill somewhere, never to be seen.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #19
racer99
Rookie

The #45, with the Coors sponsor, if memory serves me right, would be mid 1950's and the driver is probably Keith Lane. Someone correct it if I'm not right.
racer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #20
parrot

This site and thread just keep getting better. Think I can help with the I.D. of some of these photos.

Jerry Lee; That photo with #6D getting into the wall is probably Bruce Ruth who was listed in the program and was driving the night I was there. In fact think this incident happened right in front of me. Bruce was a little agressive and locked wheels with Ed Jackson coming out of turn four. This mess was the result. Others are #114 (listed as Ed Carlson, but Fritz also drove it), #111 John Stephens (one of Velmar St. Peter's cars), #3 Tom Gibbons, #45 Keith Lane (another of Velmar's cars, he had three that season), #96 Shorty Weitzel in one of Dixie Elrod's cars, and behind him looks like the paint scheme for #10, Don Dunlap.

Mitch, I can account for all the #53 cars at Lakeside througn the fifties, and that #53 isn't one of them. That one probably is at Englewood Speedway.

Also Mitch, in that 1955 photo of your dad's #51, only car in the background that I can make out for sure is #35 Jim Malloy. Photo of the Voodoo #51 from 1954 also includes #76 Willard Meyers and #37 Jerry Malloy.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote