Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #21
parrot

Default Re: C. A. R. C. Modifieds - 1950's

Mitch, love to have some of those photos that you offered. Havent' seen several of those. Hope you still have my email address, so drop me a line and I can let you know which ones. Some good action with lots of cars in them. Don't remember them all, but can I.D. them from programs. Think maybe those from 1954 are really 1953 (fenders) and vise versa (no fenders), but maybe the dates on the back? Scotty Duncan used to date all his photos, but not sure if track photog. before him did.

For sure I can I.D. most of those in the last photo. Think it's actually from 1957 based on the cars that I know from that year. #58 Karl Post, unknown, #55 Dick Piscitella, #65 John Guttormson, #114 Fritz Wilson, #76 Willard Meyers, #41 unknown, #22 Ronnie Lee in a car that was #67 (Sonny Coleman) in '55, and #77 Bud Lang. Curious that Fritz was in that group of cars, since most of them usually timed in "B" class, or maybe "Slow A" suggesting that this may be the main event and Fritz was catching up to them. Or maybe Fritz didn't time in well that night. Crazy things could happen. In 1954 saw eventual track champ Don Dunlap mess up in timing and end up in the Hooligan for those who didn't time in the top 48!
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
Mitch G.

I got off my lazy butt and emailed some higher resolution copies to Parrot. Most of these photos are Baldrige Studio, the one Duncan photo, the one you thought was 1957, was dated on the back as 1957. Sorry for the delay, what only 2 and a half month's late!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #23
parrot

Hey Mitch, thanks a bunch for those enlargements. Having fun digging up info on them. Will get I.D.s on owners/drivers posted soon.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
parrot

Thanks to Mitch G. for providing me higher resolution photos I can I.D. those old 1953-54 photos a little better. A new computer with a larger monitor helped too, plus I found a later 1953 program to help fill in some of the gaps. Still some cars up against the rail hidden behind others that don't show enough, but think I got most of them for those of you who enjoy this kind of Lakeside Speedway history. Referring to Mitch's post dated 1/13/13 the four photos top to bottom are:
Photo #1, 1954: #91 Ken Bomhoff
#51 John Guttormson (facing camera) in the green and white striped VooDoo Wagon
? Car upside down. Can't see enough to I.D.
#94 Bill Brown in a '34 Tudor
#23 Bud Smith
#99 Russell White
#13 Mel Smith

Photo #2, 1953: #51 John Guttormson (light blue and white, his first car)
#10 Bob Rich
#42 Eugene "Cowboy" Jackson (unusual '37-38 Club Coupe)
#30 Frank James
5 others hidden, no I.D. One on outside rear may be #64, Paul Johnson

Photo #3, 1953: #64 Paul Johnson
#47 Harold Hart
#99 Frank Rappa
#51 John Guttormson (light blue and white)
#20 Chuck CHerrington
#78, 73, 55, 65? A '37 coupe? When I blow it up can see what could be any of those numbers. Ruled out #55 (Sonny Jones) and #65 (Mo Jackson) since they both drove '34 three window coupes in '53.

Photo #4, 1953: #51 John Guttormson (behind #48)
#48 Bernard Wallen ('33 Plymouth)
#50 Jimmy Lamanna (in Bert Blanots car. Bert had the number 50 for a lot of those early years.
#2 Jack Stamper (had the number 2 for a lot of years)
#99 Frank Rappa (maybe. Appears to be two different#99 cars. A lot of guys were still coming down from Greeley, so Maybe?
? '37 Chevy coupe on the other side of #99, can't see #.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #25
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Nice work, Bill! I bet it was fun sussing out those names. Here's another one maybe you could help with......

My Mom used to go out to Lakeside a lot in '52 & '53. The ones she remembers the most are Pete Ducker in the white #1, and another car which the name and number escapes her. She says he "drove like a son-of-a-gun!" and always wondered who it was......Here's the clue: the only thing she remembers is that the car was sponsored by Hughes Drive-In.

Bill, do you think you could come up with a name & number out of your '52 & '53 programs from this one clue??
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #26
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
Nice work, Bill! I bet it was fun sussing out those names. Here's another one maybe you could help with......

My Mom used to go out to Lakeside a lot in '52 & '53. The ones she remembers the most are Pete Ducker in the white #1, and another car which the name and number escapes her. She says he "drove like a son-of-a-gun!" and always wondered who it was......Here's the clue: the only thing she remembers is that the car was sponsored by Hughes Drive-In.

Bill, do you think you could come up with a name & number out of your '52 & '53 programs from this one clue??

Lakeside Speedway Season Track Champion

Pete Ducker

This is what I remember of what Arthur Ducker, Pete's dad, explained about his son's death.

Pete (Ducker) died November 14, 1953 in Phoenix, Arizona at the Arizona State Fairgrounds. It was at a AAA Midget Championship Race, during which the steering apparatus on Pete’s midget race car collapsed, causing it to catapult into the infield and roll several times. Ducker was killed instantly. Arthur was not told at what point (lap) during the race that Pete’s crash occurred. Pete Ducker was also a member of the Denver Area midget racing association.

This was told to me a couple of years later after my mom and I moved to an apartment (after my dad died) that was owned by Arthur Ducker in Denver, Colorado, one block from the Denver/Englewood city line; Pete's mom was very resentful about the whole of Pete's fatal crash.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #27
parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post

Jerry Lee, that was before I was old enough to get to Lakeside on my own to actually see these guys, but based on the '52 and '53 Programs, that was either Jimmy Lamanna (#9 in 1952) or Walt Ciari (#17 in 1953), both of whom were sponsored by Hughe's Drive-in those respective years. Pete Ducker is listed as the car owner for the #9 car that Mr. Lamanna drove. (In fact, he's additionally shown as owner of #12 driven by Norm Engblom in 1953!) Jimmy actually drove the #9 in 1953 also, but there is no sponsor listed. My guess is that your mom was talking about Jimmy Lamanna since we know that he was also a hot shoe in the midgets. Now I wonder what that car looked like. Haven't seen it in any of the many photos that have shown up from either of those years. We know what Pete Ducker's car looked like, wonder if they were painted alike! Cool memory on your mom's part.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #28
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot View Post
....based on the '52 and '53 Programs, that was either Jimmy Lamanna (#9 in 1952) or Walt Ciari (#17 in 1953), both of whom were sponsored by Hughe's Drive-in those respective years....My guess is that your mom was talking about Jimmy Lamanna since we know that he was also a hot shoe in the midgets. Now I wonder what that car looked like.....Cool memory on your mom's part.
Thanks so much for the research, Bill! Mom was knocked out when I read her your post, and she told me all about those days she spent at Lakeside. She said she never missed a race in '52 and went out there with her friend and a lady who's husband pitted out there. His name was Harvey Joe Holland. She's not sure which car he pitted on though. The #58 seems to stick in her mind though. They always sat at the top of the North end so they could see the whole track. Since she only went out a few times in '53, I would think that it was Jimmy Lamanna #9 who she was watching. She also said she thought the "Hughes" car was a bluish color, but then added "C'mon, you're making me go back 60 years!" with a hearty laugh! "Drove that car like a son-of-a-gun! Really enjoyed watching him and Pete Ducker.".....Thanks again for the research, my friend!
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote