Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Thomas E

Default Lakeside/Englewood 1956 Programs

I have acquired 2 programs...

Lakeside Speedway and Englewood Speeday, the year is 1956. When I have looked them over I'll scan the pages. It appears there were race meets that were in conjunction with a special CARC/RMSCRA racing program.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lakeside 1956.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	3124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Englewood 1956.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	3125  

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
parrot

Default Re: Lakeside/Englewood 1956 Programs

Thomas, looking forward to those scans. Been wanting to find out more about Englewood Speedway from that era. Those may have been the programs from the old "Metropolitan Championship" events that were run after the regular seasons were over.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
rapid30

Those are way cool, I can't wait to see more.
rapid30

"Give pint's for half pints", I do
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E View Post
I have acquired 2 programs...

Lakeside Speedway and Englewood Speeday, the year is 1956. When I have looked them over I'll scan the pages. It appears there were race meets that were in conjunction with a special CARC/RMSCRA racing program.
Here is an update...

Our wonderful daughter is going to help me the scanning process. Patricia needed some help moving her sewing/craft/communication room from the second floor to her remodeled what was a two car garage, and when that is done I'll have her full attention in scanning the programs, it will be a few more days and then we'll have results. Thanks for your patience.

And yes both programs has a page about the "Metropolitan Championship Races" - dated for Lakeside on Sunday evening, September 30th, and at Englewood on Sunday afternoon, October 7th, 1956.

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Mitch G.

Thomas, my Dad did the drawing of that coupe on the green program cover!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Thomas, my Dad did the drawing of that coupe on the green program cover!
Yes sir, I read that elsewhere here on ARM. Doesn't one of the program covers a a small signature of your dad?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
indybigjohn

Can't wait. I collect .jpg copies of old program covers and some pages.
indybigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
Thomas E

I think we'll start our scanning process today.

It will be hot and humid, need to careful do to respiratory illness.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E View Post
I think we'll start our scanning process today.

It will be hot and humid, need to careful do to respiratory illness.
Scanning complete, need to do a check of each page. This should be interesting. All scans are PDF.

Will start post in the next day or so.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Thomas E

Here we go...

Cover first, the rest are in scanning order not page order.

Well it didn't work, so I'll have to figure out another way, the pic scans exceed the size limit. These are PDF scans. I don't how to edit a PDF scan to crop the edges and reduce the scan to an allowable size for post download. The lakeside program has 12 scanned pages, and the Englewood program has 18 scanned pages, the Englewood pages are single since the program is bigger in size than the Lakeside program.

Any suggestions?