Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Mitch G.

Default Frank Peterson, cool midget#48

As I unpack from my Texas to Florida move, and repair rain damage from Tropical storm Debby, (it's been a busy couple of weeks), found this cool photo in my wife's stash of racing stuff.
In 1971 Frank Peterson bought a midget out of Wisconsin, and put up and coming legend, Jim Beckley in it. Beckley was a super mod standout, and wanted to try midgets, this was in the day of the still trusty Offy engine, and the hot half a Chevy V8 the SESCO, and the well established Chevy II. Not to mention the new Edmunds four bar space frame midget chassis. But Peterson and Beckley decided to go to war with a old fashioned combo.

If this is not a Kurtis Kraft, it's a incredible copy, (note the modern "cross torsion bars" in the rear added to the old fashioned frame) so this is a 1940's era midget running with the modern day Edmunds cars of the early 1970's. This car was a bright orange with black lettering, it still has the fuel pressure pump, and the hand brake handle!!! And the most cool thing of all....check out the fuel injected V8-60!!! I'm assuming it's still a flat head? I vaguely remember this car, they ran it this way in 1971 and 72 ( Jim signed the photo 1972) soon thereafter bought a newer chassis with a Chevy II and and ran 2nd in points 2 years in a row to Sam Sauer in Harry Conklin's Edmunds SESCO.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Mike Croley

Default Re: Frank Peterson, cool midget#48

Welcome to Florida , it's been a very wet couple of weeks here . That's a great photo .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Flubyu

Noticed somthing odd (besides the flathead for the time period) on this very cool midget Mitch, it looks like it has a lower frame rail section added to reinforce the cross torsion bars. Cant say I've seen many updated in this fasion before, a very nice old midget Mitch!
Flubyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Thomas E

Frank Peterson, cool midget #48 reminds me of...

Number 41 and Spyder Anderson. A fuel injected V8-60 Ford.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41 Spider Anderson.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	3246  

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...

Last edited by Thomas E; 07-28-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: y for i in Spider to Spyder
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Mitch G.

Thomas, if I'm not mistaken, Spyder Anderson was the last driver to win a midget main event in Colorado, with a V8-60. Maybe in 1963? at Lakeside Speedway.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Thomas E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Thomas, if I'm not mistaken, Spyder Anderson was the last driver to win a midget main event in Colorado, with a V8-60. Maybe in 1963? at Lakeside Speedway.
You know, I think that's right. On another note, I know Sam Sauer won a semi main in the black 41 V8-60 fuel injected car, and that was probably after Spyder drove it. You should have seen it, after Sam took the checked and stopped just in front of the start/finish (Lakeside Speedway), Sam promptly jumped out of the car and think he circled it about the times, Sam was waving arms jumped up and down a couple of times, such a show by Sam really added to the excitement of Sam's win.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote