Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default C. A. R. C. Modifieds - 1950's

I've started this thread to learn more about the 1950's era of the Colorado Automobile Racing Club. I know a few of these photos have appeared in other threads here on ARM, but now for the first time the '50's era of these Modified coupes are all compiled into one cool thread.

I've tried to get my brief info as accurate as possible, but I know there are some on this site that can add info and other photos as well as corrections to my posts. Let's not let this great era of auto racing history slip away! Add whatever you can here. Help me out on some of the photo credits if you know them as well.

The C.A.R.C. ran a couple of seasons in the early '50's at Englewood Speedway, then in 1952 took their show over to Ben Krasner's Lakeside Speedway. The rest is history......

(Wes Johnson collection) May 11, 1952 Denver Post article.

(Wes Johnson collection) The first ad to plug the "new attraction" at Lakeside Speedway.
May 17, 1952 Denver Post.

(Dino Mattern collection) Lakeside's first "Stock Car" champion was Pete Ducker in 1952.
Ever wondered what happened to this car?? Well, at least the door showed up on the Velmar
St. Peter #111 car (pictured below) a year or two later. The #1 has been whited out on the
well worn door. Not sure of the driver of #111 though.

(Michael Correnti collection)

(Ody Fellows collection) Ody Fellows #3 in an early '50's pile up at Lakeside.

(Dennis Bateman collection) Gus Thomas from about 1956.

(J.L. McGuire collection) The ever popular Blu Plemons.

(Russ Sutherland/Betty Miller collection) Bill Ward from 1958.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 01-07-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: C. A. R. C. Modifieds - 1950's

(Sonny Coleman collection) Sonny Coleman 1955.

(Harry Stone collection) Ralph Acierno 1952.

(Russ Sutherland collection) Russ Sutherland used to tow out to Lakeside from Idaho Springs,
CO. during the 1959 season.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) Fritz Wilson wins in the Bushy Busheff #29 coupe in 1953.

(J.L. McGuire collection) It's possible Sam Sauer was driving this smoking heap in 1957.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 01-07-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Quick Time

Hey Jerry,

Great thread with some fun pictures, taking us back to beginning of stock cars at Lakeside. I know I went there a time or two as a kid but didn't really start on a regular basis until 59.

Thanks for starting this.

Chuck
Quick Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Time View Post
Hey Jerry,

Great thread with some fun pictures, taking us back to beginning of stock cars at Lakeside. I know I went there a time or two as a kid but didn't really start on a regular basis until 59.

Thanks for starting this.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck! Here's some more '50's C.A.R.C. memories.....

A cool "Thrills & Chills" Lakeside poster.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Flagman Bob Hinson & Frank Crater from 1952.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Pete Ducker sets new mark. Rocky Mtn. News 1952.
Wow, stock car races on Wednesday nights!!

(J.L. McGuire collection) Joe Krpan #105 and Sammy Gallo #98 from 1959.

(Scott & Cindy Wilson collection) The Wilson brothers, Fritz #114 & Don #141, from the mid-'50's.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 01-08-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
carc7

The driver in the picture of the #111 is Bill Starks.
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
lakeside #29

The guy with #111 is not Bill Starks. He doesn't even look like Bill. In those days John Stephens drove the #111 for Velmar St. Peter and John Miller drove the #11. Bill was driving his own #63 in those days.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
lakeside #29

Don Wilson's #114 was sold to Pat Fogarty and became #50. The car was unfortunately totaled in a bad crash and the story according to Pat's son Tim "They brought it home in the back of pickup truck."

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Mike511
Circle Burner

Jerry, Chris - This stuff is great!!! Don't know if you've heard but the CARC is building a new, improved (as they say) website and one of the things I'm pushing for is a page on the site just for the history, which for me is what's so cool about being a part of the CARC! Would love to have your expertise and some of your collections to make the page as accurate as possible!! Drop me a line and I'll fill you in. Any input, good or bad is welcome.
Mike511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
parrot

Jerry Lee, outstanding job getting this thread going. My favorite track. Frof. coupe is correct, although I don't know what John Stephens looked like, I remember him as the driver, so that's probably him with the #111. By the way, Bill Starks #63 can be seen in the background of the photo of Blu Pemons' #4. The year is 1955, the first of two straight championship years for Mr. Starks at Lakeside.

Great eyes Jerry, I've been wondering where that door came from. Good detective work. I don't remember that car until it was painted white (1955) as a twin to the #11, both owned by Velmar St. Peter. Still looking for photos of those cars when painted. They were a good looking pair.

I have lots of original photos of those early days at Lakeside and will be happy to contribute to this thread and the project mentioned by Mike511 when I get a photo posting gremlin problem solved. (my computer old, needs replacing)
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

More '50's fun with the C.A.R.C......

(Ody Fellows collection) A turn 4 pile up at Lakeside!

(Ody Fellows collection) Ody Fellows didn't fair too well after this wreck, but it
did give him enough clearance to crawl out okay.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Denver Post 1952. Looks like Sammy Gallo is in the 1951
championship car from Englewood Speedway the year before.

(Burrow collection) Merle Burrow and crew.

(credit unknown) I'm sure someone out there can identify this driver and maybe who to
credit the photo to? I notice that this is a somewhat different trophy shot than usual as it is
taken up along the guardrail in front of the grandstands instead of in front of the flag barrier.
Could it have been a last lap pile up at the start/finish line at the end of this race to prevent
the photographer from taking the typical shot?

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 01-10-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: ...Remember the 'Chicken King' at Lakeside Shopping Center??