Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Just want to shoot the breeze and fellowship? This is the place!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #21
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Default Re: To Please A Lady Movie

OK, so here's a racing flick with a "realistic" story line...."Speedway" with Elvis Presley. Just kidding, the story line is goofy, but I love the King (Happy B-day Elv!), and as far as I can remember there is some pretty cool old NASCAR footage in it.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #22
indybigjohn

"Thunder in Carolina" came the closest to having a believeable story line as any race film I've seen. That is, for stock car racing. "LeMans" comes to mind for road racing.
indybigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #23
carc7

Smile Re: To Please A Lady Movie

The best? GRAND PRIX; 1966 with James Garner and bunch of international stars. Won 2 Academy Awards: best editing and best special effects. Four interwoven plot lines (fairly thin plot lines, but hey! It's a racing movie!). SUPER footage at Monaco and Spa and Monza. Very few and minor goofs for a movie of this length. It made me a GP fan! Check out double-clutching and shifting with a 5-speed nonsyncho gearbox; heel-and-toe technique!
Second? LE MANS; 1972 with Steve McQueen and a bunch of international stars you've never heard of or ever will again. ZERO plot line and the acting is so-so, but GAWD what super footage! 5% plot and 95% racing footage; extremely realistic!
Next up for me was WINNING; 1969 with Paul Newman, Robert Wagner and Joanne Woodward. Love story about people who happen to be involved with racing. Good racing footage but mixed up (like putting the fouled up 1966 Indy start into the 1968 race). Look fast to see Jim Malloy; you get about 2 seconds of film time. Good CanAm footage at the beginning and the NASCAR race at Riverside isn't long enough. Richard Thomas' major movie debut.
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #24
Checkers
Rookie

I remember going to the ISIS theater downtown to see the film.
Dang you guys are starting to make me feel old.
Checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #25
Thomas E

Burn 'Em Up Barnes was an old (1934) weekly serial that was shown in the local theaters.

I watched it on Denver's channel 2 KFEL (remember channel 2) after school, Bob Shriver was the host, I think it came on at 4:00 or 4:30 pm. That was in 1954.

Here now is your Saturday afternoon matinee thriller . . .

Burn 'Em Up Barnes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200px-Burnemupbarnesposter.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	980  

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #26
lakeside #29

Hi Guys,
AMAZON has To Please A Lady new on DVD for $4.15.
Miss Peggy
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #27
Mitch G.

I liked "The Big Wheel", and "To Please a Lady", the best, I'm a sucker for old black and white movies. Plus Clark Gable is more believable than most other actors. Most of those movies were not too good, racing footage was great in some of them, but most as a whole, were poor. Talk about horrible movies, there was one made in the 70's about short track late models, called "Jump", next to "Plan 9 from Outer Space", is one of the worst movies ever made. There's lots of real drama in auto racing, but for some reason, movie people can't convey it on screen, so they make up dopey stories, and love triangles that have nothing to due with the real excitement, drama and tragedy that happens in real auto racing.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #28
JimmyK

I beleive Johnnie Tolan did most of the stunt midget work on "To Please a Lady" (for CG) and Johnny Parsons did the champ car work.
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #29
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyK
I beleive Johnnie Tolan did most of the stunt midget work on "To Please a Lady" (for CG) and Johnny Parsons did the champ car work.
Yeah thanks Jimmy, Johnnie Parsons and Johnny Tolan are indeed listed as drivers along with Dominic "Pee Wee" Dictorce and Henry Banks.That according to IMDB (Internet Movie Data Base).~Olen
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote