Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Sprint Cars & Champ Cars

Sprint Cars & Champ Cars The big brother(s) to the midget these open wheel beasts have a rich heritage in our auto racing memories.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #41
meengrinch

Default Re: Sprint car legends

that one will make anyone "cringe".........
meengrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #42
Indybail
Indybail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Here's the car Mac refers to, the wonderful Fike Plumbing Spl. with the legendary Parnelli Jones aboard.

A blurry color photo from an obscure book "American Automobile Racing An Illustrated History" by Albert R. Bochroch published in 1974 in Great Britain, then published in the US in 1977. The Fike car at Winchester, IN in 1960, again Parnelli in the wheel house.

Not sure who's in Diz Wilson's #71 Offy up top there, Johnny White?
Mac Miller can give us the stat's on the Fike car, it won a ton. USAC sprint title in 60 and 61, and much, much more.
I recall Parnelli and The Fike car having some classic battles with Jim Hurtubise in the Sterling Plumbing car. As I remember, these were the guys that really made small block Chevy's the way to go in USAC sprint cars.

Jeff Downer
@indybailbond
Indybail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #43
MickeyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PutterMcGavin View Post
Mitch thank you for the picture! I shot it over to my dad who immediately recognized it.

My grandfather passed away a feew years ago and while it was definitely tough it was really interesting getting back into his shop in Phoenix. I hadn't been there in YEARS and seeing all of the tools, parts, writings, everything took me back a bit!

I am fortunate in that he left for me some of his tools and a toolbox. Something I'll be sure to use and pass down to a future son in years to come.

My dad actally inherited his old '32 (I think...) Ford Coupe with a "Joe Pittman" built flat head. I don't know the specs but it is a future project for my dad and me. He also inherited a Monterrey; unfortunately nothing like the Fike though!

As I get more pictures I'll be sure to post them up! I need to get back to AZ soon...

Thank you Webby! I'll be sure to contribute in the future!
Here is a shot of what I believe was your grandfather's shop. This is the Fike Plumbing car in 1962.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-21-2008_003-HAMB.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	2158  

Last edited by MickeyD; 01-06-2012 at 10:06 AM.
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #44
Racefan 777

People who have never heard the cars of that era or have never seen those brave talented men drive those beautiful cars. They truly do not know what they have missed. I would love to be able to go back for one more race. Well maybe two no three lets just say a bunch. Wow they are great cars and drivers.
Racefan 777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #45
indybigjohn

Every time I saw Dizz Wilson bring both cars to a race while Johnny White was driving, Johnny was in the yellow No. 70. I recall Dick Gaines and others driving the 71. Doesn't look like Gaines in this photo, and the driver is sitting up straight like Johnny used to do.
indybigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #46
Lee Hulse
Rookie

In regards to the photo of my dad (Chuck Hulse) flipping at New Breman, It was a "bad day at Black Rock". In hot laps, Bob Black flipped end for end down the back straight and over the turn 3 wall. He survived and actually came to our place to visit may dad a week after the accident. His eyes looked like two cherry tomatos as did my dads. Also during the feature, after my dads crash, Jimmy Mcguire flipped in turn 3 and lost his arm. I was at the hospital in St. Marys with my mom and brother, waiting for some word about my dad and not knowing if he was going to survive or not when the ambulance came. I heard someone from the hospital staff saying "we got another one from that damn track".
Lee Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #47
Lee Hulse
Rookie

One more note about that crash at New Bremen. It was on the first lap of the feature. Jud Larson (in Foyts car) started on he pole. Wente subbing for Branson on the outside. Mario Andretti driving ther Iddings spl. (he replaced Allen Crowe after his fatal crash on the same track and same turn) started in side row 2 with my dad outside. Going down the back stretch with Larson leading, Andretti dove hard into 3 under Wente with my dad right behind. Andretti "fish tailed" and his right rear caught Wente's left rear causing it to blow. My dad had nowhere to go as Wente slowed and started down the track. My dad hit Wente's left rear and went "end for end" approx 15 times before coming to rest upside down. My brother and I were sitting on top of an "outhouse" in the pits watching the race. I was 12 at the time and remeber it as if it were yesterday.
*** a little side note about the crash that had huge consequences, My dad was driving the Dean Van Lines car for Clint Brawner and was USAC's most improved driver in 1963 with huge hopes for the 64 season. Not only did he lose his ride in the Dean car, but his replacement was MARIO ANDRETTI. fate can be cruel.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #48
Lee Hulse
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
This is a beautiful Al Consoli photo of Greg Weld in Paul Leffler's sprint car, Terre Haute, IN. Early 1970's. Weld was USAC National Sprint champ in 1967.
Hey Mitch, the cars in the photos on this thread are unbelievable. Some amazing shots here
Old 09-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #49
Lee Hulse
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiea29 View Post
My grandfather Johnny White drove Diz Wilson's 71. And Knepper drove his car 70.
Christiea:
I th 60's your grandfather was sprint car racings "intimidator" like Dale Earnhart is to NASCAR. He was fierce. I always hated seeing him and my dad (Chuck Hulse) in the same race. Gosh, he was good. So sad about his accident. The record books would look a lot different today if he drove longer.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #50
Mitch G.

Holy smokes Lee!! you just don't get historical insight like yours just anywhere, thanks for sharing your on the spot memories, great history.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote