Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Sprint Cars & Champ Cars

Sprint Cars & Champ Cars The big brother(s) to the midget these open wheel beasts have a rich heritage in our auto racing memories.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
cheeseczar

Default Re: Different looking Sprint Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sprinter View Post
I'm 65 years old so I'm a huge fan of traditional sprinters, not cars like I posted. Those supers, like the Sargents ran, in San Jose were big and ugly. All wings and a Great Gatsby tail. When they ran on pavement in San Jose the cars were cool looking. When Tully Rd. closed down and they went to the fairgrounds, car designs went crazy ( in my opinion)

In the late 80's we ran nothing but Sargent chassis. We helped Mike build them. One year to cinch his championship when his motor failed he drove ours in an A main to get enough points to win. We started out with the bob-tail square tube (actually boxed in) frames and then they morphed into the familier sprinters. Mike built us several sprint car chassis and I think we bought a Gambler.
cheeseczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #12
Old Sprinter

I still am a fan of the old San Jose pavement supers. I have built ( or am working on) two 1/8 scale models of Kaedings #3 and Rescino's #1.
Old Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
cheeseczar

VERY nice!

I never saw the old asphalt track but I did get to see Al Pombo and Marshal Sargent putt around in their old cars at Hanford one year. Not long after, they were both gone. We were pretty close to the Sargents and I always enjoyed talking with Marshal.
cheeseczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
Old Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseczar View Post
VERY nice!

I never saw the old asphalt track but I did get to see Al Pombo and Marshal Sargent putt around in their old cars at Hanford one year. Not long after, they were both gone. We were pretty close to the Sargents and I always enjoyed talking with Marshal.
Yep I watched those guys battle it out at Clovis, right outside of Fresno, in the late 50s and early 60s. They went from hardtops to modifieds to supermodifieds. It was great racing back then. I love that track at Hanford. My brother and I raced karts there in the late 80s after I had quit racing real cars. There would be over 120 karts there on Sat. night. Very competitive racing on the high banked track in the infield.
Old Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote