Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #81
Thomas E

Default Re: ENGLEWOOD SPEEDWAY The Figure 8 Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
I had a couple family cars that ended up on the race track. My '72 Duster ended up running at Lakeside and then my '75 Cadillac Eldorado ended up at Rocky Mountain National.

In the Figure 8's at Englewood, the '54 - '56 Fords were most popular unless you were a Chevy guy and that would have been the '55 - '57's. There were some '57 Fords that were popular in the mid-'60's as well.

Here's a question maybe one of you could answer. One thing I noticed was that almost every Stock Car was a two door. Very few four doors were used. Does anyone know why?? Was it the fact that there was a roof pillar to deal with when crawling out?? (One of my dirt cars was a four door and I had to remove the pillar on the drivers side. But I'm 6-6 and the seat had to be moved back.) If you look at all the cars in this thread they are almost all two doors. I spotted only one four door.
I know for me the 2 door was better because the door window opening was longer and it it make it easier to get in and out of the car. There were a few 4 doors at CNS.

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #82
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Whoooo-hooo! Let's go Figure Eighting again.....

(J.L. McGuire collection) Bert Brasz (left) and his pretty stock '50 Ford from 1964. Check
out the two helmets. One with a bubble and one without.

(George Harper collection) George Harper's crew hooks up the #153 at the local Shamrock
station before being towed out to the races in 1965.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Ken Brewster's light blue and yellow #90 from 1975.

(John Mullins collection) John 'Crash' Mullins' Figure Eighter from the early '70's. John
Hafemeister would soon take over as pilot for this dark blue Chevy, using the same color
scheme and the #84 on his cars for the rest of his career.

(J.L. McGuire collection) John Hafemeister picks up this Figure 8 win in 1977. The girl on
the left is John's ex-wife who just happened to be a trophy girl that night and is hilariously
acting a bit fussy about having to be in the photo with him. Flagman Don Styes (right)
can't help but laugh at the situation.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Steve Garcia during 1975 action.

(J.L. McGuire collection) 'Terrible' Terry Boyle lifts a wheel during time trials in 1972.

(Mel Keller photo) Harold Warner and his 4-door '57 Buick from 1970.

(Mel Keller photo) This crew shot for the #2 features some big names in Colorado
Figure Eight folklore. A very young Harry Livermore, Sr. (far right) not only raced
at Englewood but became known as 'The Showman' during the early '90's at CNS.
Bobby Jackson (2nd from right) was a local stock car legend and came just a
few feet from becoming the World Figure 8 Champion in 1970. Darrell Smith
(middle) started many in the sport of stock car racing and still drives at CNS
today. Dave Tansey (2nd from left) is an Englewood legend and CNS's first
Figure 8 champion. I'm not sure who the guy on the far right is, but he probably
went on to do something big because of hanging around this group.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 08-02-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: ....Nasty, Dirk, Barry, and Stig. Remember The Rutles???
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #83
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Man, when I first started this thread a couple years ago I never imagined it would ever have over 20,000 views.
Happy to share all of these pics I've had stashed over the years with you E.S. Figure 8 fans.
Some great memories for me, and apparently you as well.

The "Revolution" continues.....

(Dynamic Photo) Ed "Beer Belly" Hall #5 battles with Jim "Bear" Beckner #22 during 1976 action.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Dave Alitz #155 and Chuck Kacin #98 during a 1975 semi main.

(John Mullins collection) John "Crash" Mullins picks up this 1967 Figure 8 win.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Stan Cavaness from 1967.

(Pete Brandenburg collection) This is a great pic of veteran Pete Brandenburg heading
onto the track in Bob Olson's Oldsmobile from the 1966 season. Just a two post roll bar
was all that was required for the Eighters back in those days.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Roger Burnett #3 and Jim Matlock #4 in 1973.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Tommy Darrow with Ivan Chamber's "root beer brown" #95 in 1974.

(Darrell Smith collection) I know that this car has already been featured before here
on ARM, but this Figure 8 thread wouldn't be complete without a pic of Dave Tansey
wheeling Darrell Smith's ultra-cool pink #2 from 1974.

(Unique Photo) Bobby Jackson #2 slides to make it three wide with Lucky Beickman #95
and Jerry Martinez #110 during a 1976 main event. Mike Bellar hangs back in the #50.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 09-05-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: ....Zeppelin rules!!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #84
Bobbyjr

Jerry, how can we not look at all of these great photos you have. I have said it before and I will say it again, keep 'em coming. Love that last shot of Lucky and dad going wheel to wheel!

Bobby Jackson, Jr
Bobbyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #85
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Jay Newton collection) From what I understand, this is Darrell Stingerie who drove
this Jay Newton owned Figure Eighter in about 1964. The car is parked at the Garrison
Tenneco station once located at West Colfax & Garrison in Lakewood.

(Cal Sherrill collection/Courtesy of Bruce Rhoades) Cal Sherrill picks up this win in 1964.

(Don Fleming/Bam Bam collection) Don Fleming and son with their pink Figure Eighter from 1966.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Lee Stogsdill #18 skirts this pile up featuring Fred Tryon #49
and Pete Brandenburg #80 in 1967.

(Mel Keller photo) Don Dilly's '55 Chevy from 1970.

(Jay Newton collection) Jay Newton's Buick explodes in smoke and steam after this
1969 pile up at the X.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Jim Coffey lifts a wheel during time trials in 1970.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #86
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(J.L. McGuire collection) This 1967 aerial shot of the Englewood 8 was taken before the
West high-rise grandstands were built along the bottom of the photo. During this time,
some of the pits extended along the back stretch as well as to the East of the track.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Ray Beck takes a victory lap for this 1964 win.

(Mel Keller photo) This '55 Dodge owned by Dick Deidel featured some cool wheel rims and
an interesting roll cage. Karl Dreher drove this Eighter in 1970. A "sign of the times" are the
wild ankle high "hippie sandals" the cat on the far right is sporting. Far out, man!

(J.L. McGuire collection) This eerie looking photo features car #0 which in the '60's was
nicknamed "Spooky". Both the car and it's wheels were painted white to give it a ghostly
appearance. Apparently, not all ghosts are transparent as "Spooky" was nailed in the X
this evening. The car only made it out a few times. Anyone remember who drove it??

(George Harper collection) Greg Higgins times in George Harper's #1 Eighter in 1972.

(J.L. McGuire collection) In 1964, Larry Cook finished in the top 5 in points driving
Lou Dragon's Figure Eighter.

(Mel Keller photo) Ron Douglas and his '55 Ford from 1970. This was a very rare occasion to
see a car with a "double 9" at Englewood Speedway. The Codner family retired the number 99
in every division in honor of Charlie Codner's #99 Roadster. This also included the numbers
199, 299, etc. Not sure why Douglas was allowed to run this number for a short time that
season. It's possible he might have been from another track.

The only other time a "double 9" was allowed on the track was when Codner family friend Dick
Yackel entered a car numbered "99" for a 1975 Demo Derby. The driver was announced as the
"Mystery Driver", but it was rumored to be either Rich Codner or Frankie Braddish. Still a mystery,
I guess.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 11-11-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Remembering all of our Veterans....THANK YOU!!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #87
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Kent Moore collection) Figure 8's lined up in the Englewood pits during the mid-'60's.
In the foreground is the Jim Young/Kent Moore owned #29 driven by John Halvarson.
Parked in the next stall is Mel Roby's #126 Buick.

(Mel Keller photo) 1973 Figure 8 champion "Cracker Jack" Voorhis from 1970.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Carl Hall #185, Steve Miller #151 (in a '57 Plymouth), and Bob
Douglas #51 shoot through the X during 1974 action.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Jack Speers copped a top ten finish in points for 1967 in this
'57 Mercury.

(Don Fleming/Bam Bam Collection) Here's a cute pic of Don Fleming's son in front of
the "Spit Ball" the morning after a wild night at Englewood in 1967.

(Mel Keller photo) Fred Tryon (right) with a car that looks a bit worse for wear after running
it for both the '69 and '70 seasons.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Dennis Summers #69 power slides it by Randy Slife #95 who sits
out of the race up in the backchute during 1979 action. This was the last season for the
Figure Eights at Englewood as the track closed down for good weeks later. Colorado race fans
would not see Figure 8 racing for ten long years after this until Colorado National Speedway
would finally pave an X at their facility in 1989.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 12-13-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: 50 years of the Rolling Stones!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #88
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(John Verhoeff photo) These Figure 8's lined up in the pits during the 1975 season include:
(l-r) Dick Gastineau #13, Bob Craig #85, and two of Ivan Chambers' cars, #195 Bobby Cole,
and #95 Al Montoya.

(Mel Keller photo) Perry Simpson had an awesome sponsor in Tak's Automotive for his
1970 Figure 8. Tak Shiramizu was one of the premier engine builders in this area at the
time. This '55 Chevy also includes a Lou Paiz lettering job. Lou lettered hundreds of
race cars in his time.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Jerry Devlin #46 takes a wild ride after being plowed into at
the X during 1965 action.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Harlan Cherne wheeled this ol' 4 door into the winner's circle
in 1968.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Frank Young #28 is headed the wrong direction thanks to Ron
Warthen #10 during 1972 action.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Dave Roe and crew from 1975.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Benny "Skunkie" Garcia's 1973 Figure Eighter had a little message
on the back for the drivers he passed on the track!

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 01-03-2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: ....."C'mon down to my boat, baby...."
Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #89
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Jim Bedore collection) Jim Bedore in the Englewood pits during the 1973 season.
Jim Egli #19 can be seen in the background.

(Courtesy of Dave Harris) I just love this pic of the war-torn Tom Eller owned #3 Figure
Eighter from 1973. With Roger Burnett at the wheel, it was still pretty fast.

(Courtesy of Kimberly Reeder) Junior Reeder's '57 Chevy lays in a smoking steaming heap
after a violent flip during 1972 action. Reeder's helmet flew off during this wild ride and went
rolling across the track leading some to believe his head had come off.

(Mel Keller photo) Harlan Boen from 1970.

(Julie Voorhis Butcher collection) Three of the Safgo Tires sponsored Figure Eights for 1969
were #34 Tim Gessing, #47 Don Dilly, and #32 Jack Voorhis.

(Mel Keller photo) Larry Woodhead's '55 Chevy from 1970.

(Photo by Jerry Lee McGuire) Terry Martinez's #110 was just one of the identically painted
Figure 8's that the clan ran during the '70's. I snapped this one in 1975.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 02-03-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #90
parrot

Jerry Lee, you're the guy when it comes to figure 8 racing at Englewood. Super history on that group! I'm enjoying your posts.

I do remember Tak Shiramizu. He was pretty well known locally as a drag racer and fielded a car that he called "Tak's Toy". Some sort of a small import as I recall.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote