Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
bobjeffreson

Default Australian Midgets in the 1960s.

Some wonderful footage of speedcars, as we call them, from the 1960s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fczX7VJbtkE
bobjeffreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
webby
Administrator

Default Re: Australian Midgets in the 1960s.

Incredible!

This proves how far short track racing of all types have degenerated since then. Back then, the drivers took pride in thrilling the fans. Sadly that doesn't seem to be much of a consideration for most modern day drivers (not all, but most).

I'm curious about the fiery crash near the end of the movie. I wonder if the driver was okay. Anyone know?
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
bobjeffreson

Webby,
The driver in that fiery crash was Bryan Cunneen, who continued to race and was involved in this famous match race with American Sherman Cleveland at the same track, the Sydney Showground Speedway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyYxEMbndLo
bobjeffreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
Mitch G.

That is a wonderful film! Us older guys realize how amazing this era was, Webby was 5 years old when roll cages became mandatory but was lucky enough to see several season's of midget racing like this. Sadly, when you show this to a younger person today, even if they are a dedicated auto racing fan, the first thing they say….."Man was that dangerous". Even some of the older fans seen embarrassed that racing was "so dangerous", they have forgotten the spectacle, and the talent of those days. Great clip Bob!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:08 AM   #5
GeoffB
Rookie

Bob/Mitch: to go to the Sydney showground speedway in the mid/late 60s was incredible. Ordinary meetings drew crowds of 20,000 but feature meetings when the American drivers (Tattersall, McGreevy or Davies) raced drew crowds of 30,000.

As Dennis Newlyn said, the tracks had good facilities for spectators and were easy to get to and from and it was not expensive to go to the meetings. The drivers and bike riders were approachable and happy to sign autographs.

I can only thank my dear old dad for taking me along to Sydney Showground, Westmead and Liverpool for all those years and enjoying the speedway with me.

GeoffB
GeoffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Old Sprinter

Thanks for sharing that Bob. I've been attending midget races since being a small child. Not down under but in Central Calif. starting in 53' so I certainly remember those cars and how brave those drivers were. Great film.
Old Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote