Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > New Members Post Here First!

New Members Post Here First! After you register on the AutoRacingMemories.com forums please make a thread here first and introduce yourself!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
Slim Louis
Slim Louis

Default A newbie from Memphis

Hello everyone, My name is Tom "Slim" Louis, born and raised in Milwaukee WI, lived all over, and now reside in (almost) Memphis TN. I am a full time touring blues musician, I build vintage model racecars, and I ride around the USA in a smelly van, with four sweaty guys, eating junk food, staying in crummy motels, and playing the blues all over America, 250 days a year. I grew up watching the Modifieds, Sportsman, and USAC Late Models, at Slinger, Cedarburg, Hales Corners, State Fair, Waukegan, O'Hare, to name a few. My models can be seen at Fred's Resin Workshop, and Randy Ayers Nascar Forum. Thanks for accepting my application, hope to post pictures, comments, and make new friends, here!

Slim
Slim Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
ALVIS

Default Re: A newbie from Memphis

hey Slim welcome aboard,my name is Al but all my friend call me Alvis--i own and drive a figure 8 car at colorado national speedway in erie,colo.on of my favorite places i've been was in memphis,of course to see the kings home,post somre of your cars that you built i build models as well...talk to ya soon Alvis
ALVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Slim Louis
Slim Louis

Thanks for the welcome Al. Between 90 and 94, just prior to moving to Memphis, I lived in Denver and Estes Park. Was able to see a number of races at Colorado National! Great track! Really enjoyed the shows! Is there a special place for model car pictures? I belong to Fred's Resin Workshop and Randy Ayers Modeling forums and my builds are all over there, as well. As soon as I learn my way around, learn the do's and don'ts and get my initial ten posts behind me, I will post some pictures!

Thanks agin,
Slim
Old 12-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
webby
Administrator

Welcome Slim! I certified your membership so you can post images and stuff if you want to.

Can't wait to hear your racing memories!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Slim Louis
Slim Louis

Thanks for making me feel welcome!
Old 12-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
carc7

Slim: Just start a new thread with your model car pictures (i.e., "Slim's Model Race Cars" and download them. I can't wait to see them. Sounds like you've got, like, the perfect lifestyle, huh? My brother has played with the Queen City Jazz Band and the Hot Tomatoes. They pretty much travel separately! Paul
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
Slim Louis
Slim Louis

Thanks Paul, yeah, life is pretty good, now, but I worked at it for thirty years, I was a culinary school trained chef, once upon a time, in another life!
Old 12-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
lakeside #29

Hi Slim, since you mention O'hare, do you remember Bob Karey (sp) who raced a cut down '34 Ford modified #A5 at O'hare and around that area. It was a real pretty car. How about Bob Lutz or Gene Marmor? I got to go to O'hare in the early '60's and to Soldier Field a number of times. Also do you remember Sal Tovella? He was a favorite of mine at Soldier Field and raced USAC stock cars.
Hope you enjoy this site, you are very welcome here.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
Slim Louis
Slim Louis

Hi Chris,
My twelve year old memory of O"Hare was the Convertibles and Cadets. I watched, Lutz and Marmor( they raced USAC up in Milwaukee, too), Eric Johnson, Roy Martinelli, Bob Dotter, Tom Jones, Bob Sennaker, et. al. Sal Tovella was one of my USAC favorites, too! I will build one of his late models, someday, soon! BTW Where would I post ictures of these late models, under what heading?
Old 12-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
rapid30

Welcome Slim, I look forward to many stories & pictures, also to your models. I hope you enjoy this site as much as we all do.
Bruce "rapid30" Rhoades
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote