Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
VintageBuzz

Default SLC, UT - Oval tracks & drivers from the past.

Salt Lake City, UT - Oval tracks & drivers from the past.

I'm a transplant to the Wasatch Front (Ogden, SLC, Provo) here in Utah. Therefore, I know very little about the old Fairgrounds oval track that was located in the west-side neighborhood of Salt Lake City. I know a little about Bonneville Raceway before it was sold, tore down, and rebuilt into today's Rocky Mountain Raceways (RMR). ~VB

A lot of you may recognize some of the driver photos in the link below: Joel Terry, the Malloy brothers, Terry Nish, etc.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...95562&v=photos

Source: Gary Madsen's Face Book link. Gary is the son of "Wild Bill" Madsen who built/owned/drove a very fast rear-engine modified during the '70s in Utah/Idaho/Arizona.
VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
waynedew
Rookie

Default Re: SLC, UT - Oval tracks & drivers from the past.

I moved to Utah in 1976 and spent many enjoyable (and sometimes very chilly!) nights at Bonneville Speedway. The thing I really enjoyed was the diversity of cars with roadsters, sprint cars and rear-engined cars putting on a great show.

Bill Madsen was top dog when I started going but he got lots of strong competition. A bit later Chris Hendricks from Wyoming and SLC's Nish family were going great. I liked Dave Fitzgerald a lot.

The big shows, when drivers came in from throughout the Northwest were really great. Saw many of the top California, Washington, Canada super-modified guys.
waynedew is offline   Reply With Quote