Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #71
Andrew4180

Default Re: The Ghosts of old race tracks

Mainly because its a 2 mile oval with 23 degree banks. Greg Biffle Tested there with the Rousch-Fenway Winston Cup team in 2005 and ran 218mph on the back straightaway, and 197-202mph in the corners, causing a high amount of g forces, and almost blacking out in the corners. Jeff Andretti ran 234mph in an Indy car in 1995 also on the back straight. It also makes it tough because the track only seats 25000 people ("not enough" by todays nascar standards) It would need the grandstands redone, the dirt in the banks re-compacted, catch fencing put all the way around (only have it on the front stretch), and lights, before it would be looked at by any series.

Truthfully, I see that track as a huge money maker, if I were to hit the mega millions tomorrow, id love to buy it. Make the renovations to the speedway, bring in the Nascar Truck series, possibly the Nationwide series, Arca, hold a vintage racing event twice a year. Keep the road course(s) in use for the local car clubs and series that use it during the week. Outside the back straight of the speedway in the big 1 mile road course loop, id build a 4/10 mile clay oval, and pave from the entrance of pit road to the start/finish line with concrete, and do like Ontario motor speedway did back in the 70's and hold drag racing events there.

But I guess Greed gets the best of everyone, and housing is the way to go.. :\
Andrew4180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #72
Andrew4180

Heres the video from TWS

https://youtu.be/Crd3Nw1Xw7Q
Old 10-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #73
Mitch G.

Great ideas Andrew, you should get into the racetrack biz!! Here's a shot from the Indy car race in 1973...Johnny Rutherford outside of Mario Andretti on the front row, Gary Bettenhausen won. Look at the stands, not a sell out, maybe even back then the track owners were not good at promoting, or charged too much to get in?
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #74
Mitch G.

Oh, and good video!
Old 10-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #75
Mitch G.

Me the wife and kids went to Texas World Speedway in November of 2010 for a vintage meet. Indy roadsters, open wheel cars on the oval, trans am, sports cars on the road course, I'm sure glad I went as this piece of racing history is about to be erased.

The last photo is Larry Phitzmier in his amazing authentic Watson Roadster heading into the pits. It was a fun day for sure.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #76
Andrew4180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Great ideas Andrew, you should get into the racetrack biz!! Here's a shot from the Indy car race in 1973...Johnny Rutherford outside of Mario Andretti on the front row, Gary Bettenhausen won. Look at the stands, not a sell out, maybe even back then the track owners were not good at promoting, or charged too much to get in?

All I need is some funding, if you build it, they will come. haha id love to have my own multipurpose motorsports facility like that one day.

And obviously 1973 was before my time, but with the major cities not being as populated as they are now, TWS may have been a bit of a hike from Houston, or Dallas, and the popularity of say, Nascar vs. Indy cars in the southern states may have had something to do with it.

Great pics from the vintage event, if you have more, id love to see them. Looks like I may never get to see an event here.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #77
Andrew4180

Some more ghost tracks, drove 375 miles today and hit 3 of the 4 tracks I was shooting for.

1. Golden Triangle Dragstrip: Located South of Beaumont, Texas. Opened in the late 1950s and closed in the early 1970s, full 1/4 mile dragstrip, built in a cane field that was never leveled, former racer there stated "It was a rough track with traction issues". Here's how it sits today. https://www.facebook.com/andrew.thor...1006515&type=3

2. Silsbee Speedway: Located just southeast of Silsbee, Texas. 1/4 mile dirt speedway, Also operated under the name Eagle Speedway, Unsure of when it opened, closed its doors in 2004. Found the location today with bulldozers onsite, clearing away any remnants of the speedway. Didn't stop to take pictures, only thing left was the 2 light poles which sat in the infield.

3. Lufkin Dragway: Located southeast of Lufkin, Texas. 1/4 mile dragstrip that operated from the mid 1960's until about 1970. Until I arrived there, I only knew of a possible name of the track, and a roundabout location with the possibility of it being a private airport. After arriving, I drove into the driveway, up to the hangar and asked if I was in the right place, the old man sitting at the table a man named Greg, perked up and as I was expecting to get thrown out, he smiles and says "Yes sir, you've found it", and proceded to tell me that he used to mow the grass when it was a dragstrip when he was 12-14 years old. He went on to be a dirt track racer and work for A.J. Foyt at one time. Becoming quite impressed with my knowledge of the many old racetracks in the region. His friend Jerry was 16 when he 1st raced there in a 66 fairlane he owned, now a pilot, he uses the track for his single engine light aircraft. We sat around the table for about 3 1/2 hours talking about all kinds of different races past and present. then took a look at the strip, these are the few photos I managed. https://www.facebook.com/andrew.thor...1006515&type=3

4. Speedarama: A racing facility East of Lufkin, Texas. Contains a 1/4 mile high banked red clay oval, an 1/8 mile red clay kart track, and a paved kids kart track. Not sure when it opened, I know it closed early in 2014, allegedly for noise violations. But theres many rumors going around. Either way, its amazing how quickly this track deteriorated. https://www.facebook.com/andrew.thor...1006515&type=3

Will have a video coming soon!
Old 10-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #78
webby
Administrator

Andrew it would be great if you could post the pics here on this website.

That way.... if your Facebook page ever goes away it will be preserved here.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:44 AM   #79
Andrew4180

Will do.

3 More tracks today. Longhorn Speedway in Austin, Tx, Alamo Dragway and San Antonio Speedway.

My trip at SAS didn't go so great though, after all my research trying to find a point of contact to the track, all I came up with was a phone number that didn't work, and a page showing it was owned by a real estate agency. Seems all good and easy right? No. I get there, and do as I always do, I drive around the property to look for a house that a tenant may live in, or Posted NO TRESPASSING signs. There's no house, no signs, except for the For Sale sign from the same agency the website said it was owned by, The gate was wide open, I stopped on the side of the road, walked in and proceeded to shoot my photos, got the back straight, turns 3 and 4 with the monster banks, and pics of the grandstand, front straight, and pit road, got on the flagstand for a wide angle shot, and hear someone yelling from under the stands, (which had a lock on the gate, so I didn't go in.) and two men come out, one screaming and yelling profanities pulls a shotgun out and demands my cameras, obviously im not gonna argue in that situation. He claims he is the owner and then tells me to get out before he takes me out. I get back to the other side of the speedway and they are standing there next to his truck, one hands me my cameras back and says not to come back, saying he understands I probably had no ill intent, but he couldn't take that chance. Explaining about the vandals that have caused trouble, and that they all claim to be motorsports photographers. Saying "this is a hayfield now, aint worth nothin' as a racetrack" he told me he didn't wanna see pics or videos on facebook, Well, im not going to post them as of yet. But I managed to get some decent shots.

Was quite an interesting day, 535miles and just about got shot due to some faulty information.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #80
Mitch G.

Sounds rather terrifying, good judgement on your part to comply, strange...makes you wonder exactly what is going on with the property. I'd like to see the photos, when you are ready. Be careful Andrew.