Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #51
Lee Hulse
Rookie

Default Re: The Ghosts of old race tracks

I nearly gave up when thy paved Langhorne. I know the car count was way down the last few years, and a few drivers voiced there concerns and some even boycotted, but damn it was dirt track racing at it's most extreme. "paving langhorne" was sacreligious to me
Lee Hulse
Lee Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #52
webby
Administrator

I stopped by what's left of Rocky Mountain Speedway today. You can still see the oval fairly clearly.

Here's from the start finish line looking into turn one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410039724.618262.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	4267

Here's a panorama of the whole track.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410039787.535854.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	4268
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #53
Lee Hulse
Rookie

Default Re: Ghosts of Race Tracks gone by.

Regarding Carrell Speedway, Mitch, I drive across it most everyday. I am on Artesia Blvd often and it crosses where the entrance to turn 1 and exit to turn 2 were. They built a draind (for the infield) running across the entrance to turn 3. occaisionaly the dirt would settle and a rut would develope across the track. . My dad hit that rut qualifying for a race in 1952 and got upsidedown pretty hard. crushed the right side of his head. and lost most of his hearing in the right ear. For years after the track was gone, the family would be driving down Artesia blvd and my dad would always tell us the story about losing his hearing. My mom, so sick of hearing the story would always reply "Damn it Chuck, pull over and lets go find it".

Last edited by Lee Hulse; 09-20-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Lee Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #54
Mitch G.

Gutts, I thought they built houses over the top of Rocky Mountain? Are the remains of the road course still there?
Lee, now that's a great story, made me laugh out loud!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #55
webby
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Gutts, I thought they built houses over the top of Rocky Mountain? Are the remains of the road course still there?
Lee, now that's a great story, made me laugh out loud!
Nope, no houses.

And yes, you can still see the road course really well.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #56
Andrew4180

Hi guys, been a while.

im not sure how active anyone on this site is anymore. But I figured yall might be interested in this sorta thing. I may be young compared to most of you, but I like knowing the history of racetracks past and present. Those that have been left alone (undeveloped or or only partially) since closing, abandoned as one would say. I call em ghost tracks, and I like to take every opportunity I can to explore them. Now im making a web series of it, along with my racing adventures while drag racing. My 1st video is about the abandoned Joplin 66 Speedway in Joplin, Missouri. I visited this track while on vacation with my family. It opened in 1993 as Midwest Motor Speedway, it was a 1/2 mile dirt oval, hosted many big series such as the world of outlaws and ascs sprint cars, and it closed following the 2004 season and has sat dormant since. Heres a video of how it looks today, hope you enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOl9HHmdxQU
Andrew4180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:29 AM   #57
Mitch G.

Very interesting video, makes you wonder what led to the closing, most tracks sit on land that is way too valuable to not be used year round. Some tracks get shut down by encroaching homes, noise complaints, etc. Some tracks die because they never make a profit, and the track cost too much to build and are doomed from the beginning, or....the track builders had too little money to try to start a track in the first place. Nice video, but sad.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #58
Andrew4180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Very interesting video, makes you wonder what led to the closing, most tracks sit on land that is way too valuable to not be used year round. Some tracks get shut down by encroaching homes, noise complaints, etc. Some tracks die because they never make a profit, and the track cost too much to build and are doomed from the beginning, or....the track builders had too little money to try to start a track in the first place. Nice video, but sad.
This track had at least 4500 people every Saturday night. Big big draw, next track was 50 miles away. Lots of cars, the one race I went to when I was 8, (2004) had 5 classes of cars, 137 cars on the property. Ive heard it was a combination of things, you could hear the cars and announcer 5 miles away at my aunts house, and they were developing closer to the track. They owners that bought it in 2002 refused the sale of alcohol, and wouldn't let you bring it in yourself, the main one that makes sense to me is a rumored IRS problem against the track.

On another note, Mitch, I believe youre the one who suggested I check out Meyer Speedway in Houston, I did just that last week, may have a short video on that soon, the only thing that remains is the asphalt in the figure 8, and the piles of concrete and asphalt hidden by trees and 5 foot high grass that used to be the walls, track, and possibly buildings.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #59
Mitch G.

Great research young man!! At one time I heard that Meyer Speedway will just rot there, the land is still owned by the Meyer family and was stipulated that it will remain a speedway even if it's not operating. Very valuable land near downtown Houston. Can't wait to see more of your stuff.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #60
Andrew4180

https://youtu.be/tuUot23qo04

My video from Meyer Speedway. Not much left, but its there.

As of this Friday, im going to try and see 3 more Texas ghost tracks, (a dragstrip, 3/8 mile dirt oval, and a 2 mile superspeedway) out of a possible 5 tracks within 150 miles of me. One of the tracks isn't a ghost yet, but its scheduled for demolition In January, although its still in operation today.