Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > General Discussion about Racing History

General Discussion about Racing History Vintage auto racing has a very special place in most race fans heart and mind. The cars, the drivers, the spills and thrills. Please share your auto racing memories. Feel free to start threads/topics in this forum that are non-specific to drivers, cars, or tracks.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Funold51

Default Colorado Springs Race Tracks photo collection?

I have discovered in previous threads a few references to a photo collection of Pikes Peak Speedway and Sportsman's Raceway that was said to be housed at the Pioneer's Museum in Colorado Springs. I have done an outreach to an archivist there and was told they have no such photos in their collection. I read that they had been donated by the former owner of the printing company that did programs for the tracks and thought they may be under his name. I provided them his name - but still no luck.
I did contact the Pikes Peak Library Special Collections thinking the collection was perhaps there. They had a few images of PPR and also a few of the old Roswell track, but just a very few overall.
So the question is to see if someone has had success actually viewing the photo collection said to be at the Museum and if so how did that happen as I have had no luck?
Funold51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Mike Croley

Default Re: Colorado Springs Race Tracks photo collection?

At one time i asked my mother, who was living in Colorado Springs, to see if she could find some of the photos from PPS. This was in the early to mid 1990s. I told her the printer of the programs would likely have photos. She contacted the owner of H&H Printing and he told her he was in the process of retiring and had closed the company. He told her he was in the process donating all of his photos to the Pioneer Museum. He still had a few on hand and made her copies. I've shared them here. I myself contacted the Museum a few years later and was told they couldn't find a specific collection of PPS photos but that they had a huge number of donated photos and collections that hadn't been cataloged yet.
The same thing happened with the Darrell Porter photos, the official track photog. He told me he had sold his photo shop and all photos to Sunshine Photo on i believe Academy Blvd. I contacted them and they told me there were no photos sold to them , only the business. I contacted Porter again and told him what they said, he said angrily "they most certainly did purchase all of my photos".
Other than some photos from Rita Bull, i've never been able to come up with very many.

Last edited by Mike Croley; 02-11-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
Mike Croley

Anyway, i have no doubt the H&H photos are there. He printed the program for years and had a huge store of negatives. I asked the Pioneer Museum if maybe these were all negatives and not actual photos. They said they would look, but i never heard back from them.
Unless someone can dig up the H&H collection, or the Porter collection, the only photos are going to come from the racers and fans themselves. Guys like Bill Walter have been invaluable in saving photos, he's got a great collection.
For anyone who lives there and can do the legwork, Bob Silvers told me he has photos of Sportsmans, Larry Carnes and Bill Clarke have a lot of photos, i even talked to Roy Sportsman years ago and he said he had a lot of photos. The best collection of Sportsman photos i've seen so far has been from Max Carpenters' daughter and Joe Becker, the driver of the 6X. The last two have lots of photos and still live in the area i think. I think Mahlon Saunders also has photos.
I've talked to a number of PPS/Sportsmans racers over the years trying to get them to share their photos and stories on the old ARM site as well as this one. Some have, like Carl Fosters son. Jim Davidson at City Glass has photos and stories galore, from his days racing in the Pikes Hill Climb to inside stories of the local stock car racers and builders. i hope he'll share them sometime. But many i've talked to just never seem to get around to posting their photos.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Mike Croley

In fact, the three photos in the Larry Carnes thread on this site came from the owner of H&H Printing. So did several of the Ronny McDowell photos.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Funold51

Mike many thanks for your detailed reply. I live in the Springs and will make the effort to reach out within the community as you suggest to track down pictures. It is frustrating to think there may be a signicant collection out there but not available for review and enjoyment.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
83x

Pikes Peak Speedway's facebook site has a lot a pictures.
83x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Mike511
Circle Burner

I have some, additionally I know that Art Walsh who was the flagman for years had photos when he passed away last year and I believe someone retrieved his stuff, but I'm not sure who. I also know Ray Daniels and Mike Bonicelli (Nevada Auto Sales) have photos if they can be reached. I have posted most of my photos on ARM at one time or another, but would be happy to pass them on again.
Mike511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
Mike Croley

Here's another possible photo trove to track down. I have a photo of Mahlon Saunders car dated Sept. 5th 1964 and on the back is stamped
Deits Photo by Hascall
129 E. Pikes Peak
It looks like the official track photographer in those days was Deits. I recall the name from my days in the Springs but i have no idea if they still exist. Possibly under another name.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
Funold51

Mike thanks for the various options and ideas to pursue. I will be sure to report back and share any successes.