Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > New Members Post Here First!

New Members Post Here First! After you register on the AutoRacingMemories.com forums please make a thread here first and introduce yourself!

Old 09-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Lee Hulse
Rookie

Default New guy

Hello everyone, Lee Hulse here. I am the oldest son of Chuck Hulse. I hope some of you remember him. By the way, he is still alive and going strong at 87 and living in La Palma Ca. I have ton's of racing stories, memories and photo's to share. I found this place by accident and am so happy I have found a place to reminisce and maybe share some of my stories.
USAC Champ car racing from 1946 (AAA) and 1964 was the greatest era in the histort of motorsports. I grew up at Carrell speedway and Ascot and thought that was the ultimate in racing until 1959 when my brother and I got to see a real race. It was the Sacramento 100 and my dad as in it. I was in awe at the size of the track, the speed, and the sound. I watched in amazment as Tony Bettenhausen and Eddie Sachs battled back and forth for the first 1/2 of the race. I know i was supposed to be watching my dad, and did, but what I was witnessing was my first taste of big time racing and the memory is as fresh in my mind today as it was 55 years ago.
Thanks to all the people who make this site possible.
Lee Hulse
Lee Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
Mitch G.

Default Re: New guy

Welcome aboard!! Man you are one lucky dude!! As a kid growing up in the 1960's I eagerly awaited the arrival of "National Speed Sport News" in the mailbox. During that time I read your dad's name, and saw pictures of him in action as his career progressed. Chuck Hulse is one of the few "living legends" of the sport. Does he stay in touch with any of the few living fellow racers of his era? He raced along side of A.J. Foyt, Parnelli Jones, Mario Andretti, Johnny Rutherford, just to name a few. Can't wait to read more of your stories.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
webby
Administrator

Lee, Welcome to Auto Racing Memories! I have certified your membership so now you have full privileges and you can post pictures if you want to. For tips on how to post images check out these instructional videos.

Looking forward to hearing more of your auto racing memories!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Lee Hulse
Rookie

Hey Mitch. thanks for the reply. Yea, I was a lucky kid. I got to travel the country each summer and watch my dad race. We used Indianapolis as a home base and every weekend we would take off for a race or two. Loved those eastern trips that included Langhorne or Trenton and an occaisional sprint car race in Reading, Allentown, or Williams Grove. My brother and I had part time jobs selling Speed Sport News at Eldora and New Bremen. My dad see's Parnelli often as he lives so close and there is always a reunion of some sort around here. Thanks again Mitch
Lee Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote