Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Mitch G.

Default Terry Daniels, "out of the ordinary", sedan.

From a 1975 Lakeside Speedway program, CARC race meet #13, July 20, 1975
Terry Daniels and his father Ray are the featured team in this program, the title of the feature is "Out of the ordinary...". Out of the ordinary in respect to the fact that they are running the only Plymouth V8 with the CARC. The feature talks about Ray's ability as a mechanic, and the lack of available performance parts for the Plymouth, an interesting article. I always loved this car it was different and a good looking race car, metallic brown in color as I recall. Hey Bruce, Rick, Chris and you other coupe experts, refresh my memory about this car. I'd love to see some color photo's of this beauty.

The article does not say if the car itself is a Plymouth, it looks like a Ford Vicky, but was it a 30's era Plymouth Sedan?
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
lakeside #29

Default Re: Terry Daniels, "out of the ordinary", sedan.

The #61 was a 1933 Plymouth. From what I was told it was originally built in 1957. Fred Henning and Harry McCool both drove the car. When it first raced it was powered by a Chrysler flathead 6 with a bright red coupe body. It ran pretty good in that configuration. In the early '60's it was one the first "slant 6's" at Lakeside. That combination worked very well and was fast and the Daniels raced with that set-up through 1972. Terry was the first 18 year old to be allowed to race with CARC. I believe that was '65 or '66. After Terry started driving they installed the Plymouth sedan body. It was painted a dark redish bronze color and was a good looking car. Terry was avery strong qualifier and the car was a frequent quick time winner.

When overhead V-8s were legalized #61 came out with 273 ci engine, it ran good but was a little underpowered and If I remember right the 6 was put back in for a while. When the engines rules opened up they ran a very stong 318 Mopar. They had problems with porosity of the cylinder walls.

Harry McCool wound up with the car and after he sold it the car went to Dodge City, Kansas and gained a Mopar 360 engine. It returned to Denver and changed hands several times. Ken Bennet bought the car and took it apart. He had Greg McLaughlin reassemble it for him. After that The original roll cage was replaced with a Witthar built roll cage. Darrell Stingerire built a '32 Ford tudor into a Vic lookalike by chopping the top 2", shortening the roof, and inverting the back of the body to resemble the bustle of a Vic. The car wound up in California and as of a couple months ago it was advertised in "Vintage Oval Track Magazine" for sale.

This car was a legend at Lakeside it's a shame it still isn't in Denver.

Chris Ertler

Last edited by lakeside #29; 07-24-2009 at 12:26 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Hey Chris,I'm always amazed at how much you and Mitch know about your respective cars.All of the details that you guys remember, right down to what kind of pistons that each car has.I think you guys should get together and write a book on the old Lakeside and Englewood tracks.I for one enjoy the stories and I would be the first in line to buy one of those books.~Olen
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
rapid30

In 1998 when I started driving for Ken Bennett, I drove the old #26(the former Gary Land/Leroy Yeahley owned) for just 1 night. I was going on vacation and when I got back Ken called and asked me to drive this car as he had sold the 26 to Frank Young, he asked if I would go to Don Grothendick's house and get the 61 which he had purchased. When I got the car home I found that cage had been redone but they had not touched the steering and one of the u-joints was wore out. I cut the shaft apart and was getting ready to replace the joint when Ken called and asked if I would like to drive the#30 which at the time was being driven by the legendary Midget driver Jim Beckley, Jim was busy with the Midget and did not feel that he could do both so I never got to drive this Lakeside legend.

After Ken had changed the body to the Vic, in Sept of 98 we were to race at CNS and Ken was looking for someone to run the 61 and I talked to Rich Bubak about shoeing the car at CNS and he jumped, thus began the story of how Rich and I went on to win Ken 4 championships.
Bruce
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
Mitch G.

Oh yeah.....who's name was on the title in 1933 when the Plymouth was purchased??
Just kiddin'. Chris you just "schooled" us in race car genealogy! I think we will start calling Chris "professor coupe". Not taking anything away from Bruce either that's why I asked you guys. Olen thanks for the kind words, Chris actually knows what he's talking about, I just make stuff up!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Chris actually knows what he's talking about, I just make stuff up!

Well in that case,you could call it "Fact or Fiction" of local race cars.I'd still buy it.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
lakeside #29

That car was sold to Calvin Jennings Feb 3, 1933 for the sum of $553.43 less $50.00 trade-in allowance for a 1918 Dodge touring at Henderson Motor Co. in Enid Oklahoma.

You buy that? I'm sorry I made it up. I guess it could have happened.

Seriously, thanks for kind words. I had a chance to buy #61 a couple of times and got talked out of it once and didn't have the money the other.

Olen, Don't believe for a minute that Mitch is making anything up. From what I've heard and read, Mitch is the go to guy when it comes to midget, sprint, and Indy car history. He has as much passion for these cars as I have for the coupes. That is what makes this site so great, all the diversity of types of cars and contributors.

Chris Ertler
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside #29 View Post
Olen, Don't believe for a minute that Mitch is making anything up.
Yeah,you're right Chris,I've read too many of his posts to know that he was kidding.The knowledge you both have with your respective side of racing can still fill a book.It's really enjoyable to me,so you guys just keep this site running.~Olen
Old 11-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
TPF

Guys , I dont know how I missed this post the first time around. But my brother bought his house right across the street from Terry up off of 64 and stuart. Mike my brother and Terry got to be pretty good friends. I know that Terry had alot of time in this car. He also had a 2 1/2 car garage with a vintage Leblond engine lathe up in the front of the garage. I also know that Terry is a hell of a Machinist and it showed in this racecar. My brother was on Terrys pit crew for a couple of years when I was pitting for Brian Stevens. I remember it having the 318C.I and it would hall the mail down the shoots, but coundnt get through the turns. Terry had a different rear spring set up in the car the last couple years it ran. Perhaps Mr Urtler can help out. TIM
TPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
carc7

Terry is living in Tucson, AZ at this time. I called him and spoke to him for about 20 minutes a couple of years ago. He was very cordial and appreciative of the call. I think he may be my nominee for the CARC HoF next year. He did have 3 consecutive CARC championships with Pachello's #19 car, 1980, 81, 82. I have a picture of the coupe and I'll send it in over the next few days.
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote