Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #101
Mitch G.

Default Re: The Ghosts of old race tracks

Still working on it, checking more resources, Hang in there!!!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2016, 02:38 PM   #102
Andrew4180

Happy New year everyone!

Ive got a new track for you. Cowtown Speedway in Kennedale Tx, across the street from Texas Raceway and Butted up to Kennedale Speedway Park. Was a 1/4 mile dirt oval, operated from 1963-2012. Competition with KSP and an alleged anonymous call to the EPA had them shut down. I attended an ASCS sprint car event there in 2005 with a friend and his dad. These boys knew to run a show. Shame to see it go to waste.

https://www.facebook.com/andrew.thor...1006515&type=3
Andrew4180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #103
Mitch G.

I remember reading quite a bit about Cowtown, talked to some folks who raced on it, was a great midget track. Another shame.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #104
car88

Great posts! Does anyone remember the tracks in northern CO. Ft. Collins, Greeley, Longmont. I'm from Longmont and my Dad raced at these tracks in the early 50's I have a few pictures of his car(no. 88) ,but none of the old Longmont track I distictly remember that old track and where it was. It is a housing development now(for last 40 yrs.) but I still think of it whenever I go by. Does anyone else have any memories they can share?
Thanks.
car88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #105
VintageBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by car88 View Post
Great posts! Does anyone remember the tracks in northern CO. Ft. Collins, Greeley, Longmont. I'm from Longmont and my Dad raced at these tracks in the early 50's I have a few pictures of his car(no. 88) ,but none of the old Longmont track I distictly remember that old track and where it was. It is a housing development now(for last 40 yrs.) but I still think of it whenever I go by. Does anyone else have any memories they can share?
Thanks.
Welcome car88. My dad, Lou Wendzel, was the flagman at Speedway Park in Ft. Collins back in the early '50s. Here are some photos from his collection. ~VB

VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #106
Andrew4180

Howdy yall,

Got yet another track for you.

Hot Rod Hill just northeast of Bryan, Texas. Not to be confused with an older track of the same name, opened in 1999-2000 and only operated until around 2005-2006. Reason for closure was due to the track owners wife falling ill. The track owner is long time Texas sprint car owner/driver Wayne Brown. Wayne kept the track maintained and race ready up until about a year and a half ago for fire training and private testing. It was a 1/4 mile at the bottom, of the 60+ foot wide racing surface. Ran sprints, modifieds, bombers, legends, and a 4cyl front wheel drive class called buzzers. Wayne fought lawsuit after lawsuit and won them all before shutting down. He has mixed feelings about opening the track up in the future. But im glad he was gracious enough to give us the tour of his place and sit and talk with me for a few hours, lots of stories over many years.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0125001&type=3
Old 01-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #107
Mitch G.

Great job Andrew, what a neat looking track, shame it's closed, nice of the owner to give you the tour. What is the nearest big city?
Old 01-23-2016, 05:02 PM   #108
Andrew4180

Mitch, the closest big city is College Station, this track is located 15 miles north of Texas World Speedway
Old 03-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #109
Obster
One Post Wonder

Limited Membership - Awaiting Certification.

Have a couple extra hours in the office around Easter, and found your forum. I love old race tracks.
I have to post about Texas World Speedway in College Station. The reason for its fate was hinted at in an earlier post by someone who visited. They were told to stay off the grandstands due to sinkholes beneath. That's the reason. A Japanese company called Ishin, I think, came in during the 1990's and put a lot of money into redoing the place, with an eye towards getting a NASCAR date. They were almost done when they discovered the grandstands could not support the weight of people!
All of this documented in detail on a weekly basis by our dear, departed Editor Chris in National Speed Sport News. He ALWAYS got the story!
*I will bookmark and keep checking the site. Thanks.
Obster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:08 PM   #110
Andrew4180

For those that enjoy my "Ghost Trax" project, me and my family are moving to the Joplin, Missouri area next week, I have a few tracks in mind to visit.

Mitch, maybe you can help me once again with the speedway directory for the Kansas, Missouri area..

Joplin 66 Raceway-Visited October 2015. 1993-2004 Still abandoned.

Joplin/Ozark Speedway- Long gone, operated from the early 60s-1971

71 Speedway in Neosho- track surface remains, operated from 1971-1975ish

Greentop Speedway- Overgrown with trees, closed in 1958-1959

North Fork Speedway- 1997-2000, now a pond.

Just a couple that im aware of.