Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Mighty Midgets

The Mighty Midgets Often referred to as the purest form of racing these "mighty midgets" are a racing history teasure.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
dmckim

Default Spyder Anderson

when i first seen him drive i was a young boy and was amazed that he could fit in a midget. took alot to drive hard whith two inches of your helmet sticking out the top. many other great drivers i remember or met mike gregg, sleepy tripp, jim laurie. i used to take my old open wheel mags and get autographs still have all of them and all are still in good shape.
dmckim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
VintageBuzz

Default Re: spyder anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckim View Post
when i first seen him drive i was a young boy and was amazed that he could fit in a midget. took alot to drive hard whith two inches of your helmet sticking out the top. many other great drivers i remember or met mike gregg, sleepy tripp, jim laurie. i used to take my old open wheel mags and get autographs still have all of them and all are still in good shape.
Welcome to the ARM community! Spider Anderson is amongst my favorite midget drivers too. There used to be lots of information and photos of him on the now defunct CRM site. If anyone can help restore Spider's history and photos, please start posting that information to ARM. And, I liked watching Sleepy Tripp. Robby Flock, Stevie Reeves, and Doug Kalitta race in the "Mauro Mile High Classic" at the old Rocky Mountain National Speedway (R.I.P. 2005). ~VB
VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Here's a pic and caption taken from a Chuck Mauro article by Rick Wasilko(RIP) in the old ARM site.

"In this 1970’s pic from Leroy Byers taken at Lakeside Speedway in Colorado, we see Rick
Montgomery in the ‘Schlieger Bros. Chevy II’, Tommy Frantz painted number 22, leading
Eddie Jackson, 5, and Don ‘Spyder’ Anderson now driving the red number 10. Just a little
bit of an ‘aside’ here, but notice how Spyder fits in this midget! The guy was so tall his
elbows and arms would rub his legs every time he would drive through the corners. On a
1/5th mile track, THAT was quite often!"
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
carc7

Which is why they called him "Spider": he looked like a spider getting in and out of the midget, with arms & legs!
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Mitch G.

Default Re: Spyder Anderson

Don "Spyder" Anderson, always a threat during most of his career, I believe he won a couple sprint car features on the pavement at Century 21 Speedway. Anderson could win on dirt or pavement, he was smooth and smart, and seldom ever crashed. He was born and raised near Calhan, CO, attended Colo Springs High School, and was a go-kart champion. In 1963 he bought a V8-60 powered midget from Frank Peterson and made his midget debut, that year. Joe Hainds was his partner and remained so until Anderson's last year in a race car. He was involved in racing for 24 years, he won 22 RMMRA midget features, and also had former FBI agent Dick Ludwig as a racing partner, hence most of us remember the "Hainds and Ludwid" usually associated with Anderson. He won his first feature in 1964, finished in the top 10 in points 14 out of 22 season's, his best was 2nd place to Steve Troxell in 1973. Spyder drove for Vern Shaver, Ken Heffner and Mike Dire. He finished his career in 1986 with Hainds and Ludwig, while fighting cancer, and he passed away in 1987.

Here's Spyder in his V8-60, note the fuel injection, on July 13, 1968 Anderson won the last ever main event to be won by a V8-60, in the RMMRA midgets. it happened at Lakeside Speedway.

Great shot of midget legends at Colo. Springs, Pikes Peak Speedway in 1972.
Spyder in the "Hainds & Ludwig, SESCO" #41 on the inside, Steve Troxell in Roger Mauro's Offy #55, and Sam Sauer in Harry Conklin's Edmunds with SESCO power #1.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
VintageBuzz

Thanks Olen & Mitch for your postings! It appears that Spyder wasn't partial to any one power-plant as long as it propelled him fast. Great stuff, guys! ~VB
VintageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
hilestudio
One Post Wonder

Hi:
I was looking for information on Dick Ludwig, and found this site. I worked on Spyder's pit crew for several years. We were back East at a USAC show, and we were trying to compete with his flat head Ford, which he couldn't to, I guess he may have put a little too much pop in the tank, when we got back to Colorado Springs and tore it down, I said to "Spyder, you got a cracked block" Me and Spyder and Joe Hainds sat in a bar that night, smoked several packs of Marlbouroghs, (Joe was Camels), and decided to get the Sesco.
hilestudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
sbail1
One Post Wonder

As a teen I used to drive around the block by Bells restaurant to view his midgets .

Can anyone direct me to photos of his go-karting? I saw one picture long ago of Spyder in a go-kart, all arms and legs. With all of your vast racing memories are there any photos of the kart track that was in the vicinity of Hwy 85-87 and Las Vegas St. North of Security, Co. or maybe the track around Beacon Hill?

In 1989-1990 I purchased and raced the Stanton/Aries that Sypder owned from Jack Merrill in Pueblo. This was suppose to be the car that 1984 Mark Passerrelli won Belleville with. This tidbit came from Mark himself in Tempe Jim's shop.
sbail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Good ol' Spyder. I thought this thread was worth another look, plus I found a great photo at the bottom of a box.....

(J.L. McGuire collection) Pete Brandenburg #31, Rod Ullery #8, and Spyder Anderson #41
are about to make it three wide at Lakeside Speedway on July 25, 1981.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 11-22-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
Mitch G.

Jerry Lee, great photo, a year before I started in the midgets. Rod Ullery in Charles Fletcher's great Schlieger built VW #8 he won a main event in that car, that season, at Lakeside. Pete Brandenburg in his homebuilt Pinto powered #31, Spyder is in a Edmunds, with Kawasaki V8. I think Spyder only ran the Kawasaki for one season, did not have a lot of success with that engine. Great memories!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote