Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Stock Cars

Stock Cars Stock cars have come a long way since the days of the old jalopy but many race fans will tell you the vintage stock cars put on some of the best fender banging action of all-time.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
superstroke

Default Don Carelli Lakeside Late Model #6

From the Bruce Rhoades collection, here is a picture of Don Carelli after he has just won the main event at Colorados Lakeside Speedway. This photo came from a Speed Journal newspaper dated August 6, 1976. It says that on this night, Lloyd Land would get the quick time for the late models with a 12:94. Lloyd was driving the Gremlin bodied car that was formally owned by Larry DeChant. Also on this night, Roger Lund, a Wisconsin driver, trailered his car down for some 1/5th mile asphalt competition. In the late model dash, Fritz Wilson passed Don Erickson for the win, with Rick Carelli finishing second.
Photo was taken by R&R.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d carelli.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	907  
superstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
dcarelli
Rookie

Smile Re: Don Carelli Lakeside Late Model #6

That's cool, thanks for posting that... That is one picture I didn't have....
dcarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
superstroke

Default Re: Don Carelli Lakeside Late Model #6

Not a problem Don. I used to letter your Dads cars, along with his brothers cars as well. In fact, the car in this photo was lettered by me. Do you remember the chipmunks that were on the back of the two cars? Your Mom cut my hair one time when I was over at your house off of 68th ave when painting a car for your Dad. When the cars were kept at Tim Miles place, I was lettering both of them. It took quite a while to do this. I was working in the garage on a Sunday. At the time, my license was suspended, and I had to depend on others to get me around, so I had no way to get food or anything. Tim and his family were gone, and about 5pm, I was getting pretty hungry. Just about the time I was going to take a bite out of a piece of cardboard, here comes your Dad with this enormous pan of pasta. Man, was I ever grateful. I will never forget that. Your Dad had a reputation as being disagreeable and tempermentle. But I found that when you really got to know him, he was really a kind, warm hearted individual. I miss your Dad too. When I was on Rick Carellis pit crew, especially when we would drive the tractor trailer across country, we would talk about your Dad and of those amazing times. Rick loved your Pop and would tear up. Me too!

When you see your Mom next time, ask her about the time I was lettering a car in your garage and myself and some buddies decided to set up our stereo system in there. We were into Pink Floyd and Deep Purple and your folks were not. We had the stereo cranked up pretty good until your Dad finally asked if we would mind holding it to a mild roar. Good times!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
dcarelli
Rookie

I will ask her today. I can't thank you enough, hearing any stories about my dad good or bad are good to hear. Were you you there the day at my parents house when everyone was working on the cars and our dog bite me in the back of the head? 150 stitches later!!!!! Tony Mallera had to drive me to the ER!!! I was 4 years old!

Donny
dcarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
superstroke

I cannot remember that. 150 STITCHES...WOW! I'll bet you will never forget that. I do remember chasing wrecks with your Dad when he would sometimes drive a wrecker for your uncle Gene. Danny Schleer, Tony Malera, Tim Miles, Steve Myers. These guys were the ones who I remember hanging around at the time your Dad was racing. Ellis Lance and Jim Billen too!
Old 11-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
TPF

Don , Here is another shot of your dad in the 6 modified in the mid to late 70s . I grew up abought a block west of Tim Miles garage on west 61 place .Tim always threw me out of the garage. I was probley 10 years old at that time and all I wanted to do was watch and maybe get lucky enough to sit in your dads late model. This shot shows your dad Don, and your uncle Rick in Al Stars green #7. That car up in the fence is Pat Petrie Scan3.jpg (34.1 KB)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan3.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	914  
TPF is offline   Reply With Quote