Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #91
Andrew4180

Default Re: The Ghosts of old race tracks

Ok, leaving for Atlanta early tomorrow morning. Have 4 tracks lined up, 1 paved oval, 1 1/3 mile dirt oval, a 1 mile track, and an old dragstrip. anyone want to take guesses?
Andrew4180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #92
Andrew4180

Alright, after 4 tracks, a day in Talladega, and 2 14hr trips, im home, and this is what I have.

The Macon Fairgrounds Speedway: 1 mile dirt speedway, opened as a horse track on the Georgia State Fairgrounds in the mid 1800s, ran auto races from the mid 1920s until 1939. From 1947 to 1956 a 1/2 mile dirt oval operated in the infield, hosting several NASCAR events from 1949-1953. 1st one being won by Herb Thomas in the Fabulous Hudson Hornet. Today, it's a walking track, the 1/2 mile has disappeared under baseball fields, and the grandstands are also long gone. A short, flat kart track operated between turns 3-4 at one time recently.

https://www.facebook.com/andrew.thor...1006515&type=3

Middle Georgia Raceway: A .525 (1/2) mile speedway in Byron, Georgia. Opened in 1966 hosted nascar events from 1967-1971 and continued operating until 1984. Sat dormant for quite some time, it's a high banked track, with a flat smaller oval and figure 8 in the infield. Still hosts concerts, car shows, vintage reunions, and monster truck events. Owner is interested in seeing it operate again. Richard Petty, Bobby Allison, Bobby Issac, and David Pearson all claimed victories here in the NASCAR era. Interesting fact is that a moonshine still was found in a bunker under turn 3 in 1967. Big thank you to Tim Thornton for giving me free range of his facility! (More pictures to come)

Double H/ Lost Mountain Dragway: Located in Blue Ridge, Georgia, it was a 1/4 mile dragstrip, with an uphill short shutdown. Operated from 1963-1966. Never had a tree or guardrails, used a flag starter, return road started at the 1/4 mile mark and ran right next to the strip. Used as a private airport called the Blue Ridge Skyport today. Less than a mile down the road from Sugar Creek Raceway.

Sugar Creek Raceway: A 1/3 mile high banked clay oval in Blue Ridge, Georgia. Operated from 1967-2008 and again for a final season in 2012. Closed due to an alleged lack of support, this track could be saved with a bit of work. Big thank you to Winfred Morris for all the info/stories! (Have more photos, will post them later) support your local speedway!

Old 12-01-2015, 02:14 AM   #93
Willmro
One Post Wonder

Limited Membership - Awaiting Certification.

A library of books could be written about the great race cars.
Willmro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #94
Mitch G.

Great work Andrew....really great photo's as well, it's sad, but it is racing history. I would get pretty depressed visiting all these sad places. keep up the excellent work!
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #95
Andrew4180

Mitch, sitting in the stands, or standing on the front stretch coming off of turn 4, I can see/hear the cars coming to the green flag, and then you blink, and they've disappeared right before turn number 1.

At the dragstrips, I can see the tree come down, or the flagger jump, tires blazing, front wheels in the air, and about half track, everything goes quiet, and no ones there.

That's how I see these tracks, I can see and hear the cars, smell the burgers and hot dogs, smell the race gas and burnt rubber, and feel the thunder from the engines.. only to have it vanish before my eyes. Being too young to have ever seen a race at 10 or more of the tracks ive visited, that's usually all ill ever see.

"When the checkered flag waves, engines go quiet, and everyone leaves for the final time, can you look back and say "I was there"? - Andrew Thornton
Old 12-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #96
Mitch G.

Just interesting how a young guy like yourself takes auto racing so seriously, wish more dudes like you were out there. I was born in June 1960, mom and dad took me to my first midget race a few weeks after. Me and Webby spent our youth going to the midgets with our Dad. In our lives we have lost several of our most favorite temples of speed. Lakeside Speedway, Englewood Speedway both paved ovals in the Denver area. Century 21 Speedway only ran 2 seasons 1971 and 1972, then it closed. In 1982 Raceland opened, 1/2 mile dirt oval, it was shortened and re-configured over the years becoming Rocky Mountain National Speedway, it closed in 05' or 06'?...As for tracks across America, Ascot was my all time favorite, I've been to tracks with better grand stands, and restrooms, etc. but never a better dirt surface. Manaznita in Phoenix another legend I've been to that closed. Colorado Springs had 4 paved ovals over the years, they are all gone, expect Colorado Springs International which is closed but still exists. Anyway, lots of great memories and history, keep us posted!
Old 12-04-2015, 11:32 PM   #97
Andrew4180

I got to go to Manzanita in 2005, when I was 9. On our way to see my half sister in California, we stopped in Phoenix, where my dad lived from 1959-1963 when we was about 6-9 years old. My dad was born in 1954 in Missouri. He ran Midgets at Marysville, Sacramento, and several others in California from 1973-1976, while on leave in the Navy. What I wouldn't give to have a picture of that. He ran his cars and motorcycles at Freemont Raceway, and O.C.I.R. in the 80s. Rode 3 wheelers in the Glamis Dunes, and then was transferred to Massachusetts where he met my mom. Dad hasn't been down/around a track competitively in 30+ years. He made sure ive made it to every race for the past 10 years. Even when my brothers raced, he made sure we all got to play, because baseball didn't do that. As soon as I can, im gonna build my old man some kind of racecar to give him the same thrill ive gotten for a long time now.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #98
Mitch G.

Andrew, what was your dads name? if he ran midgets in No. Cal. I may be able to find you some pictures of him racing, see if you can come up with some more details, so I can do some digging.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #99
Andrew4180

His name is Gary Thornton, he drove for Mike Manis and Bob Stroe, car number 42 or 43
Old 12-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #100
Andrew4180

No luck Mitch?

Tags
century 21, closed track, englewood speedway, lakeside speedway, race tracks