Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Just want to shoot the breeze and fellowship? This is the place!

Old 11-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
lakeside #29

Default November 22, 1963

Today marks the 49th anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination, that horrible Friday in 1963. Lee Harvey Oswald shooting from the 6th floor of the Texas school book depository building using a $19.95 mail order rifle had shot and killed the president of the United States. Of those of us old enough to remember that day most of us can tell you where we were and what we were doing. What I would like is having you readers share your memories.

I'll start off.

I had just finished lunch hour at Aurora Central High School in Aurora, Colorado. I was a sophmore. I was on the early schedule from 7:50 am to 2:12 pm. I had a study hall after lunch and we were supervised by Coach Lee Rosa. He was a no nonsense ex-Marine drill instructor. Shortly after the period started a kid who had been listening to a transistor radio summoned Mr. Rosa. We were then informed of what was transpiring in Dallas. I had two more classes that day Coach Don Robinson's art class and Coach Jim Graff's woodshop. During art class we didn't receive much information and went about our class business quieter than usual. By the time we were in wood shop the word come down that the president was dead, Radio was piped through the school via the intercom. Guys were sitting or laying on the work benches in total silence. When school let out I had to take a Tramway bus across town. I lived with an aunt during the week to attend school and came home to north Denver on the weekends. Downtown Denver was so quiet that afternoon it seemed weird. The only sound was the traffic on the street, no conversations. It was the same at home the entire weekend. Life was never quite the same after that Friday.

Now you tell your story.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"

Last edited by lakeside #29; 11-22-2012 at 03:37 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
parrot

Default Re: November 22, 1963

First thing I mentioned to my wife yesterday morning, that this was the 49th anniversary of that horrible day. One of those things you never forget. Out of school, just married, working in the O.R. at St. Joseph hospital. It was the main topic of conversation in each of the surgical suites. Even before we learned of the outcome, the surgeons quickly summed up the prognosis, The president wasn't going to make it. It was a somber day.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
carc7

Default Re: November 22, 1963

I was in sixth grade and it was recess after lunch. We were at Fremont Elementary until Allendale would be ready for us second semester. I was on the playground and my friend Bruce Wray came up and told me that the President had been shot and was in the hospital. The rest of the afternoon was pretty much a waste with all the girls crying. I felt numb (not dumb, NUMB). I also vividly remember watching Lee Oswald get killed on national TV live on Sunday. It took years to realize what that did to our country. I hated the political climate of the mid-to-late-60's. The racing part was another story. . . . .
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote