Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Housekeeping > Questions and suggestions

Questions and suggestions Have a question about our website? Or maybe you have a constructive suggestion to help us improve ARM please contribute here.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #21
Checkers
Rookie

Default Re: ARM's own Hall of Fame

Mitch, You are correct, It's a thankless job and crew members do whine along with some of the drivers. But a good flagman can also be a great friend while in the tower.

Good nite all
Checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #22
indybigjohn

Absolutely right, Mitch. I couldn't do it much with ASA or ARCA, but at the local tracks I found the best way to stop a lot of the whining was to invite the crew member, owner, driver, whatever, to spend a race or two with me in the flagstand. Soon the word would get around and others would want to do it. Pretty soon, the word also got around that it wasn't nearly as easy as it looked and the whining subsided. In fact, those who had been up there with me would often tell a newbie whiner to try it.

I have no regrets for the 30 years I spent flagging all over the country, and lots of memories of great friends I made along the way.
indybigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #23
webby
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkers View Post
Besides I thought this site was some what a replacement for Colorado racing Memories.
Yes and No.

Yes, we started this website because CRM unexpectedly closed up shop.

But...

No, we are not just a Colorado Racing Memories clone. We decided from the very beginning we would open this site up to racing memories from anywhere in the world.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #24
Flagman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybigjohn View Post
I'm not from that area, but I think an auto racing Hall of Fame for that area would be fantastic. I don't know Don Styes, but as an old flagman, I think there has been too little recognition given to those guys whose primary focus and responsibility is for the racers' safety. You have no idea how lonely that position can be at times.

What a great comment! Having spent over 20 years flagging at local tracks, I couldn't agree more. Racers and teams forget that without a team of officials to oversee the program, nobody would be racing.
Flagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #25
webby
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybigjohn View Post
Absolutely right, Mitch. I couldn't do it much with ASA or ARCA, but at the local tracks I found the best way to stop a lot of the whining was to invite the crew member, owner, driver, whatever, to spend a race or two with me in the flagstand. Soon the word would get around and others would want to do it. Pretty soon, the word also got around that it wasn't nearly as easy as it looked and the whining subsided. In fact, those who had been up there with me would often tell a newbie whiner to try it.

I have no regrets for the 30 years I spent flagging all over the country, and lots of memories of great friends I made along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagman View Post
What a great comment! Having spent over 20 years flagging at local tracks, I couldn't agree more. Racers and teams forget that without a team of officials to oversee the program, nobody would be racing.
We agree with you guys. That's why (as we stated earlier in this thread) every year we would have 5 new HOF members and at least one of them would be a non-driver.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote