Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Housekeeping > Questions and suggestions

Questions and suggestions Have a question about our website? Or maybe you have a constructive suggestion to help us improve ARM please contribute here.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Thomas E

Default ARM's own Hall of Fame

As much as we all enjoy the various auto racing hall of fame venues . . .

How would it be if we here at ARM created

"Auto Racing Memories Hall of Fame"

for our ARM heroes, right here at ARM. Create a really nice opening number post with flags, trophy icons, and variety of cars.

Then each subsequent single post would honor a single member at a time.

Kind of a "This one's for you."

"Stay tuned for the greatest spectacle in racing" ~ Sid Collins

LAKESIDE - Late at night by the old Lakeside Speedway, you can hear the ghosts - The barking, crackling "Flathead Fords", the zinging "Chevy Stove Bolt's", The rumbling of the "KK-Offy's", and the snarling "Ford V8-60's". Listen and faintly hear the announcer say, "Ladies and gentlemen, the line up for the trophy dash," and the place would erupt with the mix echoes of cheers and boo's...Remember...
Thomas E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Default Re: ARM's own Hall of Fame

Hey Thomas E, that sounds like a great idea. Maybe Webby could set up a seperate forum just for that. I for one would vote for that and I put my nomination in for Thomas to be President of the ARM Hall of Fame.~OLen
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
webby
Administrator

Hmmm.... I like this idea.

But we would need some rules and such. We would need some criteria for entry and limitations of the amount of people that could be awarded such an honor each year.

Or should it be more of just a "free for all"?
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Mitch G.

This is a great idea, but I strongly recommend certain criteria for nomination and induction. I've read some great articles by long time racing columnists and historians and they make good points about HOF issues. For example, Glen Fitzcharles, a east coast sprint car racer was inducted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame, Kevin Eckert, long time writer, historian, and on the election board, was opposed to Fitzcharles induction because he got all his main events in one kind of winged limited sprint car, in one state, at very few tracks (sorry I don't have all the facts off the top of my head). I think a open wheel driver would have to have at least one national feature win, AAA, or USAC maybe the World of Outlaws. There could be sub-categories for guys who won lots of features, at one track, maybe they have to have a track championship to get in. Modifieds, late models, should have wins at more than one speedway, but not necessarily out of state?
Also we need to take into account driver adaptation, guys who raced from the 1930's to the 1970's, built there own cars, and engines, etc, pioneers of the sport so to speak. Here's what we need to avoid, hypothetically, a guy wins 10+ mains, over a 5 to 10 year period at one track, in one kind of car, lots of people love the guy, he's a great human being, etc. but does this qualify him for induction into a auto racing Hall of Fame? I'd vote for Thomas E as the first pres of the ARMHoF, with Olen as chairman. Just some ideas, great idea Thomas E !
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G.
I'd vote for Thomas E as the first pres of the ARMHoF, with Olen as chairman. Just some ideas, great idea Thomas E !

Thanks Mitch, but no thanks as chairman. There are a lot more qualified ARM members than myself for a job like that. I would suggest, since it is not an "official" Hall of Fame, that the rules and regulations and criteria be stretched a bit, then once it becomes nationally recognized it could always be tightened up.~Olen
Old 01-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
webby
Administrator

Here are my ideas for criteria....

(please help me add, delete, and edit these)

- The person must be retired from racing at least 5 years.
- The person must have at least some degree of national recognition.

- The person must meet one of the two following conditions:
-- The person must have made a major impact in one form of racing (i.e., midgets, sprint cars, stock cars, etc.).
-- The person must have had success in multiple forms of racing.

Other items that might warrant HOF status:

- The person may have been a innovator in the sport and changed the sport in a positive way.
- The person may have dedicated their life to furthering the auto racing in some way.

I submit that each year we accept 5 nominations into the HOF and each year those five will be called the "ARM Fab 5, class of 2010". Each year the "Fab 5" will be made up of 4 drivers and at least one non-driver (promoter, car builder, announcer, track owner, etc.). I also submit that each year we pick the "low hanging fruit" (i.e., the obvious choices that nobody could disagree with, A.J. Foyt, Mario Andretti) but we also include at least one "dark horse" or "surprise" choice that is a bit less known but still had a huge impact on auto racing that way our HOF is a resource for learning about auto racing for folks that might have not heard of some of the "behind the scenes" kinda guys.

Our HOF can be WORLD-WIDE!!! No geographic limitations for us.

We will have a nomination process and then a team of pre-selected ARM members to make the final picks each year.

I agree that Thomas should be president and general "dude in charge".

Thoughts??
Old 01-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
rapid30

I like it I think that this would be a cool deal, as there are many racers world wide that might get some local reconition but this might make more people aware of their accomplishments.
Bruce "rapid30" Rhoades
rapid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Mitch G.

Five per year is a good idea, plus the builder, promoter, non driver is a great idea.
Do we limit car type per the group of 5? in other words, each year we consider a open wheel_open cockpit, modified (do we group coupes with supermods?), stock car, dragster, road course, etc. Or is it o.k. to have 2 midget guys, and 2 late model guys in a given year to the exclusion of other divisions? Just trying to make it fair to all interested groups. Or does car type even matter, maybe just the driver on his merits, regardless of his favored type of car. Retired for 5 years is also a good requirement. I'd say we put in a 6th inductee every year, that being the obvious past national hero's, A.J., Mario, Parnelli, etc. We do our 5 per year, and add a legend, each year?
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
webby
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G. View Post
Five per year is a good idea, plus the builder, promoter, non driver is a great idea.
Do we limit car type per the group of 5? in other words, each year we consider a open wheel_open cockpit, modified (do we group coupes with supermods?), stock car, dragster, road course, etc. Or is it o.k. to have 2 midget guys, and 2 late model guys in a given year to the exclusion of other divisions? Just trying to make it fair to all interested groups. Or does car type even matter, maybe just the driver on his merits, regardless of his favored type of car. Retired for 5 years is also a good requirement. I'd say we put in a 6th inductee every year, that being the obvious past national hero's, A.J., Mario, Parnelli, etc. We do our 5 per year, and add a legend, each year?
Great ideas and thoughts.

I say we limit it to only 5 members each year but the first year (this year) we will award 15 HOF members and here's how....

We started ARM in Jan 2008, therefore we have been around three full years already. So our first year we can award for....

and of course...

That's 15 drivers to start with so we can get some of the legends out of the way and in our HOF right off the bat.

We could spend the next few months working on the three years of entries.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

I recieved a message on my Skype account from a Robert Ralston that I would like to pass on to the members creating ARM's Hall of Fame.

"Hi: I saw your chatter about an ARM HOF. We started one in the Milwaukee area 4 years ago and its going Great Guns. Your biggest headache will be setting some rules that you can stick to and bending over backwards to be fair. No good deed goes unpunished. We are housed at the Wisconsin Automotive Museum in Hartford Wi. Google- Southeastern Wisconsin Short Track Hall Of Fame- to see the web site, though its about to upgrade big time. Our induction-annual dinner drew 600 on Nov 1. Three sellouts in a row. I'm on the 7 member board. Bob Ralston (Goodluck)"

To take a look at their site click Southeastern Wisconsin Short Track HOF