Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Modifieds

Modifieds The open wheel version of a stock car has a wide range of variations as well as the supermodfied which is a closer relative to the sprint car.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Fastway

Default Re: Bill Streeter, Mr. "B" Class!

You are correct Professor, Short Yates area was also a turn around for the street cars back in the day. Dad used to tell me about catching the cars and going to Littleton when he was a kid. I remember him telling me that round trip was a quarter.

And yes son-in law Drew Utecht wan rookie of the year with that 31 Vick once owned my the McIntyres. The CARC used to present the Rookie of the year trophy"The Tim McIntyre Memorial" I dont know why the club quit the memorial for Tim. But Its cool that Drew won that honor driving the car with the Vick. A couple of years later someone don't remember who was driving the car for Theron Bredeson and had stuffed the car HARD into the fence at CNS. A buddy who was there told me that the car was all killed ( Yes he is from the south and that was his terminology) So the remains went to Frank Denning. Some time after the cars death, It was put on the modified donor list and i wound up with the body.

Remember, It's not bragging when you can back it up.
Fastway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
carc7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastway View Post
You are correct Professor, Short Yates area was also a turn around for the street cars back in the day. Dad used to tell me about catching the cars and going to Littleton when he was a kid. I remember him telling me that round trip was a quarter.

And yes son-in law Drew Utecht wan rookie of the year with that 31 Vick once owned my the McIntyres. The CARC used to present the Rookie of the year trophy"The Tim McIntyre Memorial" I dont know why the club quit the memorial for Tim. But Its cool that Drew won that honor driving the car with the Vick. A couple of years later someone don't remember who was driving the car for Theron Bredeson and had stuffed the car HARD into the fence at CNS. A buddy who was there told me that the car was all killed ( Yes he is from the south and that was his terminology) So the remains went to Frank Denning. Some time after the cars death, It was put on the modified donor list and i wound up with the body.
Fastway, that was Mike Anderson who smote the CNS wall at turn 4 really hard with the car. He broke a couple of ribs and earned a concussion from that one. Theron bought his new car then. I didn't hear what had happened to it after that.
carc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
parrot

Fastway and Prof. Coupe are right. Consulted my Mile-High Trolleys book and while it doesn't show the name of that street, I'm going with your answer of Short Yates since it continues from north bound Yates across 46th Ave. It indeed appears that was probably a turn around point. Not much town past Lakeside although the track continued to Leyden to the coal mines.

Happened to run across the program write-up for the 1964 car that Mr. Streeter drove so am showing that here. While I'm at it, also including a rear view of the Tudor #66 from 1963 for comparison. Had some time on my hands while Don & Als shop replaced my wheel bearing so roamed around taking photos of his stock cars. Had driven from Pueblo to Sidney, picked up my fiance, back to Lakeside for the races, took her home, then on my way back to Pueblo the next day when the bearing went out just a short way from Don & Al's. Mr Arkulari was more than cordial. Found a room for me around the corner to stay while he tracked down the parts, then the next morning drove me to Western Union in downtown Denver to pick up a money order that my fiance had sent for the repair. Now that's service! He was amazed that I would drive so far to catch a race at Lakeside, but for those of you who have been there, you know why. Oh! and I got to see my finace also. Better mention that. A win win weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Program Streeter.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	2162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Streeter Writeup.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Streeter #66 Rear Veiw.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	2164  
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
lakeside #29

I'd like to add a footnote to this post regarding Short Yates Street. It bothered me that after spending years working for the Denver Parks and Recreation department that I couldn't remember the year the recreation center was built. I contacted an old friend and co-worker that was an architect in Denver Parks Planning and he filled me in. In 1973 the outdoor swimming pool was built at Berkeley Park. In 1975, using money from a 1972 bond issue Berkeley (now William Scheitler) Receration Center was built. It was during this time the city decided to add parkland to Berkeley and Short Yates Street was vacated. An alley ajoining the street was also vacated. The city used funds from the Colorado highway department that was a reimbursement for property taken from the park that was in the path of I-70 for the property acquisition. I remember a conversation with one of our foremen who worked salvaging and demolishing some of the houses. Some may have been moved. There used to be a pool hall and lunch counter, Lee's Lunch and Billiards, on Sheridan in the 4600 block as well.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"

Last edited by lakeside #29; 01-10-2012 at 02:40 PM.
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
parrot

That's some great history on the park, Chris. Not many remember that even before that, the lake was actually a swimming destination. During the late fifties, several of us drove down to Denver to check out some of the metro area pools and stopped there. One of the buildings, maybe it's one of those still standing, was used as the change area. We ended our tour of swimming holes by going to the indoor pool at Lakeside Amusement Park. Think that one's been gone for a while. Don't remember for sure, but if it was on a Sunday we probably took in the races that evening. Lots of good memories.
parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #16
lakeside #29

Yes Bill, The old Berkeley bath house is still in use. The Denver Aquatics office's are in what used to be the woman's locker room on the east side. The pool maintenance crew uses the men's locker room on the west for storage. For quite a few years a shuffleboard club used the main floor. Its on the beach level. We used to attend departmental meetings and classes in the building. More recently the city drained Berkeley Lake for dredging. From what I've read trasure hunter were finding coins and other treasures from the old swimming days. It must have been fun to be able to go swimming in a neighborhood lake. Legally that is. I suppose health concerns, especially polio in the '50's forced the issue.
I liked working for Parks and Rec. I supplied so much irrigation equipment to keep them going over the years. I got kind of attached to some of "My" parks.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote