Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > Race Tracks

Race Tracks Everyone has their favorite race track(s) growing up as a kid. In this forum you can discuss your favorite old race track. Make sure to title your new thread with the name of the race track.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #51
lakeside #29

Default Re: ENGLEWOOD SPEEDWAY The Figure 8 Revolution

Jerry Lee, I think we're thinking of the same guy named "Chief". To be honest with you I don't recall who he hung out with. He seemed like a nice guy and I got a kick out of his wrecker. It was a '49 or '50 Dodge with what Dodge called a "Pilot House" cab. Those had a really big split windshield. The truck was black with a home made tow truck body. It sounded cool with its flathead 6.

Sir Richards Ltd. was a restaurant and lounge on south Broadway in Littleton. It was in a strip mall around Arapahoe Road. I don't remember the exact cross street. It was a neat place with a dance floor. We went there because there weren't a lot of rowdies there. I think Chuck's sister-in-law tended bar there.
Peggy and I went there when we were dating. Peggy was a good dancer but you haven't lived until you saw "Twinlke Toes Chris" on the dance floor.

Chris Ertler - "professor coupe"
lakeside #29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #52
TheAssassin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside #29 View Post
Jerry Lee, I think we're thinking of the same guy named "Chief". To be honest with you I don't recall who he hung out with. He seemed like a nice guy and I got a kick out of his wrecker. It was a '49 or '50 Dodge with what Dodge called a "Pilot House" cab. Those had a really big split windshield. The truck was black with a home made tow truck body. It sounded cool with its flathead 6.

Sir Richards Ltd. was a restaurant and lounge on south Broadway in Littleton. It was in a strip mall around Arapahoe Road. I don't remember the exact cross street. It was a neat place with a dance floor. We went there because there weren't a lot of rowdies there. I think Chuck's sister-in-law tended bar there.
Peggy and I went there when we were dating. Peggy was a good dancer but you haven't lived until you saw "Twinlke Toes Chris" on the dance floor.
I'm pretty sure you've got the "Twinkle Toes" part right.
TheAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #53
lakeside #29

Yeah, I was real graceful. About like a bull moose trying to walk on ice.

Last edited by lakeside #29; 10-03-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #54
TheAssassin
Rookie

I'd pay good money to see that one. :8x
TheAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #55
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Oh boy! More Figure 8 fun......

(J.L. McGuire collection) Jim Coffey won enough races with the 5X in the early part of the
1971 season to earn his pic on the cover of the program.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Dusty Hopkins #14 and Roger Burnett #3 in 1973 action.

(Mel Keller photo) James Aldrich and crew lookin' good in 1970!

(Unique Photo) John Cleveland looks as though he's done a lot of work underneath
his '54 Ford during the 1976 season.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Larry Phillips in 1973 action.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Gil Dunn and his '57 Plymouth in the summer of '69.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Mickey Mouse gets whapped at the X.

(J.L. McGuire collection) From the Applewood area just West of Denver comes
Frank Wolfe and crew in 1965.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Ed Brunner #131 in 1972 action.

(Kent Moore collection) 1973 Englewood Figure 8 champion Jack Voorhis (lower right) and crew.
This beautiful car was owned by Kent Moore (standing right). His brother Alan Moore (lower middle)
was the track welder at the time.

(Unique Photo) Mike Craig brought this car out as a Claimer in 1976. When someone wanted
to claim it, he turned it into a Figure 8 car the next week. Then this pile up coming out of
the East turn took it's toll right after.

(J.L. McGuire collection) 1976 ARA Figure 8 rule book.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 11-12-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: ...Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on far too long.
Jerry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #56
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

(Unique Photo) Ray Keele #14 and Eddie Floyd #07 battle for the lead of this 1976
heat race.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Jay Newton's big ol' Buick from 1968.

(Roger Avants collection) Roger Avants slides across the finish line rubber-side-up to
finish second behind Junior Reeder #141 in this spectacular 1974 Figure 8 main event.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Tony Ratliff's '57 Ford from 1969.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Tony Ratliff #11 leads this 1973 Figure 8 heat with Bob Craig #185
in hot persuit.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Herb Fish was hard to beat during the 1973 season in
Bob Warner's #1 Figure Eighter.

(J.L. McGuire collection) More 1973 action with "Fearless" Freddie Harding #83 and
Ed Brunner #131.

(Kent Moore collection) This still from one of Kent Moore's Super 8 movies from 1971
features Dale Deter #4, Greg Higgins #29, and Butch Chase #20.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Chuck Tuffield and crew from 1968. Tuffield (lower right) was
the 1966 Saturday night Englewood Figure 8 champion.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 12-12-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: ....talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation!
Old 12-17-2011, 07:01 AM   #57
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

I'm always amazed at the number of old pics of race cars that Jerry has. Even when he was a kid, he was a little pack rat. He told me that he has hundreds more stashed away somewhere. Keep bringing them out Jerry. Good job.
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:09 AM   #58
Jerry Lee
Resident Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olen McGuire View Post
I'm always amazed at the number of old pics of race cars that Jerry has. Even when he was a kid, he was a little pack rat. He told me that he has hundreds more stashed away somewhere. Keep bringing them out Jerry. Good job.
Well, I guess I have you and Mom to blame for this Dad! I'm blessed that you two were big stock car racing fans. Thank goodness you two weren't into say.......figure skating or something. I would feel kind of weird having saved boxes and boxes of that stuff! Thanks!

Here's some more Figure 8 pics I had buried...........

(J.L. McGuire collection) 1974 Figure 8 action featuring Dave Mompher #150,
Tony Ratliff #11, Carl Hall #185, and others.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Jim Beckner #110x battles Larry Joe #04 in 1975.

(Jay Newton collection) Another one of Jay Newton's Buicks from the mid-'60's.

(George Oaks collection) A veteran of Englewood's dirt Stockers of the '50's, George Oaks
(left) ran the 8 in the mid-'60's.

(Unique Photo) Bill Hickcock #141 was actually launched from behind by a car out of
camera range at left, and thrown into the oncoming Ken Brewster #90 during 1976 action.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Floyd Fouts wheeled this Ed Funderburk owned Eighter during the
1965 season at Englewood.

(J.L. McGuire collection) Gil Dunn and his '57 Plymouth picked up this semi main event
win in 1969.

(Pete Brandenburg collection) Pete Brandenburg (far left) piloted this '57 Ford for Bob Olson
(second from right) in 1968. Pete had hilariously lettered the name "Bobby Ulser" on the driver's door.

(Unique Photo) Jimmy Disher (right) drove brother Gary Disher's Figure Eighter in 1976.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 12-18-2011 at 01:52 AM. Reason: ...If the law of gravity is ever repealed, which way would we all fall??
Old 12-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #59
JThur01
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
When the Codner family paved an “X” through the infield at Englewood Speedway in the Spring of 1964, some speculated that it was the first track of it’s kind West of the Mississippi River to run the division. Others claim that Ascot Park in Gardena, CA. had one around the same time as well.
Ascot Park held its first Figure 8 race on July 7, 1962. The '8' track was originally scheduled to open in June, but the layout wasn't finished in time.

Thanks for posting the photos
JThur01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #60
lakeside #29

Hi Jerry Lee, Seeing Ray Keele's photo brought back a memory that I had forgotten. Joe Voice drove Keele's #444. It was a black '55 Ford. It had a string of little orange dots all the way around the car at the belt line. Unless you got up close you couldn't see what the were. They were stickers they use to identify packages in a meat case in a supermarket. All the way around the car it said "breasts..breasts..breasts".