Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > The Checkered Flag

The Checkered Flag This is where we say goodbye to drivers, car owners, promoters, race tracks and other memorable auto racing fixtures that have passed away.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Default Remembering Bob Higman

mac miller has put a post up on the passing of Bob Higman. I thought it would be proper to mention him under The Checkered Flag.

Bob Higman was inducted into the National Midget Auto Racing Hall of Fame in 1995.

There can hardly have been a person in Midwest midget racing over the last four decades who hasn’t been helped out in some way by Bob Higman. In 1957 he had a young A.J. Foyt working on his farm in return for “rides.” Bob routinely maintained upwards of half-a-dozen midgets a year for various car owners and he was directly responsible for several USAC titles, including 1963 with Bob Wente, 1966 with Mike McGreevy and 1973 with Larry Rice. He also had runner-up rankings with Wente in 1960, 61, 62 and 64, Dave Strickland in 1970 and Dana Carter in 1975.
It is estimated that at least 12 of the 33 cars in the “Hut Hundred” one year were prepared by Bob Higman. Bob is also the only man to build a successful turbo-charged Offy midget engine.
Besides being an owner, mechanic and a member of the USAC Board of Directors Bob has been a chief mechanic at Indianapolis. He was the crew chief for the famous run for the “pole” by Jigger Sirois which was flagged off by the car owner while Higman’s back was turned. As it turned out, Sirois would have made the race and would have been the slowest car in a 500 field to sit on the pole.
From the National Midget Auto Racing Hall of Fame.

Last edited by Olen McGuire; 01-14-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
indybigjohn

Default Re: Remembering Bob Higman

Bob was one of a kind. Judy Ates e-mailed me yesterday morning to tell me he was not in good shape, and again after Mac Miller announced that he had passed on.

My best memory of Bob was in the 90s while I was News Director at Indianapolis Raceway Park. Ed Watson was a regular at our midget races, of course, and he called to ask me if he could bring Bob and let him sit with him in the press room. I told him of course he could.

First thing I did was put Bob in my golf cart and take him through the pits. He was overjoyed at seeing so many old friends. He sat in the press room with Ed and I, and we took him back through the pits again when it was over.

That was one of those nights I wish I had been carrying a tape recorder.

RIP, Bob.
indybigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote