Vintage auto racing
Rat Rods for SaleRace Car Clip Art

Go Back   Auto Racing Memories | Vintage Race Cars > Auto Racing Memories > General Discussion about Racing History

General Discussion about Racing History Vintage auto racing has a very special place in most race fans heart and mind. The cars, the drivers, the spills and thrills. Please share your auto racing memories. Feel free to start threads/topics in this forum that are non-specific to drivers, cars, or tracks.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Default Heroes of the Supermodified Persuasion

I ran into this video on YouTube I thought was a memory jogger:

Olen McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Default Re: Heroes of the Supermodified Persuasion

Heroes of the Supermodified Persuasion part #2

Old 04-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
Mitch G.

Emmit Hahn, (Chili Bowl inventor), Lanny Edwards (Hahn's partner), Jack Zink, Jackie Howerton, Harold Leep are recognizable, unless you grew up in Oklahoma most of these guys are strangers, but what great cars. I've been to Fairgrounds Speedway in Oklahoma City, it closed this year, I think I saw Tulsa Speedway in there, I raced a midget on that track. Cool photo's, neat cars.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Quick Time

Hey Olen,

Great find, you seem to dig into the nooks and crannies of the internet to find these hidden gems. I saw Oklahoma in one of the pictures and wondered if all were from that area, thanks Mitch for weighing in on that. Thought possibly up-state NY or Wisconsion but probably midwest.

Kudos to you Olen.

Chuck
Quick Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

In doing a little digging, these were made by someone whose user name is "vintagesupermodified" with some tags mentioning Manzanita, and a lot of tags and connections to Oklahoma city Fairgrounds. I'm sure Mitch and others could find a time slot by the way the modifieds were built. I thought that "vintagesupermodified" did a great job with the pictures and background music.~Olen
Old 04-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
Mitch G.

Olen, right off the top of my head, I'd say 1966 to 1980 or so, and the Oklahoma guys more often than not stretched those frames to a 100" wheel base. Edmunds came out with his wonderful supermod in 1965, and you see those Oklahoma guys wearing full face helmets and Hoosier tires, which would be 1981 or 82. Those Oklahoma guys pretty much switched to 100" wheelbase dirt champ cars and ditched the tops and ducktails on the back, and at one point had a series with the USAC 96" wheelbase dirt champ cars, this was 81 or 82'. Manzanita guys almost always stayed with 86" wheel base cars, that fit in with using sprint car chassis, and the east coast seldom had narrowed coupes, or Edmunds type suprmod bodies. I'm no expert, just trying to remember what I've seen in "Open Wheel Magazine", and some books I've seen featuring these types of modifieds. Also the numerous times you see "John Zink" in those photo's, this would be almost entirely Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas. Oh yeah, in San Diego at Balboa Stadium, they ran super mods with the 86" wheelbase, some guys ran the same car, just by changing the body and tail, as a supermod and sprint car.
Mitch G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Olen McGuire
Old Senior Genius

Thanks for your input Mitch, as usual you're a big help identifying time and places. This author has many video's on YouTube that are mostly old video's from around Okie city and witchita. For the ones that want to see more of them just click HERE. There are 102 of his videos that I think are worth seeing,and most of them are recent uploads. ~Olen

Last edited by Olen McGuire; 05-08-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #8
bobjeffreson

When Marshall Sargent came to Australia in the mid 1960s he showed the racers down here how a Super Modified should be driven. He was an absolute sensation......
Seen here on the infield of the Sydney Showground.
bobjeffreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
bobjeffreson

Local racer Bill Warner imported this CAE modified and immediately went to the pointy end of the field. His races with Sargent and another American, Larry Burton, are legendary.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
bobjeffreson

Here's Bill Warner again, chasing California's Larry Burton in front of a "standing room only"... 30,000 plus crowd at the Sydney Showground.